Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Really Annoyed!

So to start a little background.  I have a sister who has a four year old and twin 18 month olds ( who I love to death), but she never had any issues trying to concieve or staying pregnant. I also have a cousin who has a two year old and is about 4 months pregnant with number two who was conceived on the first try.  Don't get me wrong I'm really glad that they didn't have to go through what I've been through.  But today they both wanted to tell me how when someone asks if I want a boy or a girl and I say I just want a baby, that it is a given.  I wanted to SCREAM.  Some people really don't care and really do just want a baby.  Sorry I had to vent to people who would understand.  Because sometimes my family just doesn't.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Really Annoyed!

• Options

Yeah, I hated that question.  It usually went like this:

"so do you want a boy or a girl?"

"we just want a healthy baby, no preference."

"So.... you want a girl?"

Better come up with a good answer like "we've got our fingers crossed for a velociraptor".  Thats what my husband told people.

***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I never skated around this... 

"Do you want a boy or girl?"

"I just want a healthy baby to bring home with me at the end of hopefully 9ish healthy months"

"Oh come on you have to want a boy OR a girl just a little bit?!"

"Nope, I just don't want my baby to die. Got it?"

Probably a little too forward but it shut people the helll up! Seriously, I did.not.care and I'm not just saying that. I was surprised, yes, but would have been equally happy either way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Missing our sweet Angeline. BFP #1: 7.12.09 / EDD: 3.15.10 / Missed Miscarriage: 8.14.10
    BFP #2: 3.16.10 / EDD: 11.28.12 / Collin Rex born 12.1.10
    TTC#2: May 2012
    BFP #3: 7.5.12 / CP 7.12.12
    BFP #4: 1.28.12 / EDD: 10.11.13
    betas: 10dpo: 91 / 14dpo: 493 / first u/s: 3.4.13
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenatoshacooke:

I never skated around this... 

"Do you want a boy or girl?"

"I just want a healthy baby to bring home with me at the end of hopefully 9ish healthy months"

"Oh come on you have to want a boy OR a girl just a little bit?!"

"Nope, I just don't want my baby to die. Got it?"

Probably a little too forward but it shut people the helll up! Seriously, I did.not.care and I'm not just saying that. I was surprised, yes, but would have been equally happy either way. 

Yep, I will keep this in my arsenal of comebacks.

My Blog
    We love and miss you Jillian (18w) and Peanut (6w). Welcome to our TAC miracle Jacob!
  • Options

I like the velociraptor line.

Honestly, this conversation drives me up the wall because, generally speaking, it happens if a woman already has kids *in front of those kids*.  Way to make the existing kids feel like sh!t, you know?

What's a mom supposed to say?  Me, I typically said something along the lines of "Honestly?  We've got one of each already and they both have their advantages and drawbacks - and after 4 miscarriages, we're just hopeful to bring a baby home from the hospital."

Typically that covered enough subsequent questions that people stfu.  I've found that when you drop the "I've had 4 m/cs" bomb on someone, they just don't really want to talk much afterward, which I find PARTICULARLY helpful for this conversational line. 

• Options
    It only gets better. When we found out it was a girl, all of the guys I work with asked if DH was disappointed. They were all shocked that he is really excited for a girl... Because you know, all men want a boy, end of story.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"