3rd Trimester
Options

Weight determined by ultrasound

How accurate is the weight they determine by ultrasound? I go in for a growth u/s tomorrow and I assume she will tell me how much baby weighs like the last u/s.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weight determined by ultrasound

• Options

In my exp. they are sometimes spot on but can be up to a pound off either way or so I've heard.

• Options
    I wish my OB offered that, I've never heard of that being done.  I'd love to know!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

They told me that DS was going to be around 6.5#-7#.

He was 8#10oz.

• Options
    imageMama_SAS:

They told me that DS was going to be around 6.5#-7#.

He was 8#10oz.

OMG, just a tad off huh?  I guess I don't wish I was getting one...  within two LBS give or take isn't a very good estimate IMO.

• Options
    Natalie was estimated at 6lbs 14ozs she was born at 8lbs 7 ozs then went down to 7lbs 14 ozs.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

DD was born at 36w5d at 8 lbs 8 oz.

She was estimated, 4 days earlier, to be 8 lbs 13 oz. Not off by far, but a little.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's not accurate.  They told me DD would be7lbs, and she was 5lbs, 7oz. :(
  • Options
    At my growth u/s they estimated LO to be 6lbs 4oz +/- about 4 oz.  They didn't give me an estimate of what he would be at birth.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    At the last ultrasound my doctor said the baby would be 7 pounds 6 oz. and he was born (a week late even) 7 pounds 7 oz. But I heard they can be off up to 2 pounds either way.
  • Options
    There are just too many variables for the weight estimate to be a real accurate prediction of babies true weight at birth.  First you have the sonographer, and not every sonographer measures exactly the same, then you have the equipment, which doesn't measure exactly the same, then you have a baby who may or may not be in a good position to get accurate measurements.  It has been noted that it can be up to a couple pounds either way.    I have never been 2 lbs off from my measurements, but then I rarely hear from people after they have had their child.  My fellow Sonographer had a baby last December and both her and I measured him before he was born.  She had added a pound and I was only a couple ounces off.  She has never worked where she performed a lot of OB ultrasounds and I have.  It just really depends.  Good luck tomorrow!
  • Options
    imageconley81:

In my exp. they are sometimes spot on but can be up to a pound off either way or so I've heard.

this

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've heard they can be +/- 10% either way

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

I had one with DD and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaay off (more than the +/- a pound).  I had the u/s at 34w2d and they said she was about 6 pounds.  I delivered at 35w4d unexpectedly and she was 5 pounds 1 ounce.  Considering babies gain about an ounce per day near the end my ultrasound was 1.5 pounds off.

I just had another one last week with my current pregnancy at 37w3d and they said he is 7 pounds 7 ounces.  I guess we'll find out if it was accurate whenever this little bugger decides to come! :)

• Options
    Last Thursday I had one and he was estimated to weigh 9lbs8oz. I had him on Friday and his actual birth weight was 9lbs 11oz.
  • Options
    With my DD, they estimated 5lb 6oz and she was born at 5 lbs 5 oz.
  • Options
    With DD1, I had 2 u/s less than 24 hours apart because of pre-term labor.  The first one said that she weighed 4lbs 12oz and the other one said that she was 5lbs 6oz.  I had her 6 weeks later and she weighed 8lbs 7oz.  The 5lbs 6oz was probably fairly accurate considering that babies gain half a pound per week towards the end.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options

Typically they say +/- 2lbs.  I think the better measurements at that point, if they can get them, is shoulder, abdomen, and head circumference, because those tend to be more telling, IMO, regarding your ability to deliver.

My DD was estimated to be about 7lbs. She was 7lbs9oz.  My DS was estimated to be about 8lbs.  He was 10lbs.

This baby had better be smaller, that's all I've got to say. 

• Options
    I've heard they can be +/- 2lbs by the end, but they were 3lbs off for me. They estimated DS to be 7lbs at birth, he was 10lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageShernRich:
    It's not accurate.  They told me DD would be7lbs, and she was 5lbs, 7oz. :(

She is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen!  Congratulations!

• Options
    u/s tech at 37 weeks with dd1 said, "7lbs exactly. I'd bet money on it" dd was work a week laster at 8lbs 9oz.
  • Options
    Mine was dead on. But, I had u/s every week leading up to it for 2 months due to GD - which I think made it more accurate.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    I had a growth u/s on a Wednesday. They said DS#1 would weigh 8 pounds. He was delivered on Friday - 2 days later - and weighed 9 pounds 11 oz. I won't believe them anymore....
  • Options
    imagegrr_aargh:

Typically they say +/- 2lbs.  I think the better measurements at that point, if they can get them, is shoulder, abdomen, and head circumference, because those tend to be more telling, IMO, regarding your ability to deliver.

My DD was estimated to be about 7lbs. She was 7lbs9oz.  My DS was estimated to be about 8lbs.  He was 10lbs.

This baby had better be smaller, that's all I've got to say. 

I am a Sonographer.  We don't measure Shoulder circumference.  We measure Biparital diameter, Head circumference, abdominal circumference, femur length and some measure humerus length.  These are the basic measurements everyone does and these can be inaccurate as I stated in my prior post.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"