Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Teething and sleep, any suggestions?

LO is getting his first molar in and it's been hell.  Last night I slept for a total of 2 hours and it was holding LO in the Lazy Boy in his nursery.  Any suggestions for how to help him sleep a little more comfortably?  We've been giving him Motrin and keeping his room a little cooler (he's running a fever).  Last night we brought him to bed with us but he wouldn't sleep there either.  So, he won't sleep in his crib, he won't sleep in our bed.  The only place he'll sleep is in someone's arms in the rocker, which was ok for last night, but tomorrow we all have to go to work.  Tonight, we've already spent 2 hours trying to get him to bed.  Poop.

CIO is not an option.  I'm not a big fan and think it's pretty cruel for a teething baby.  I know he doesn't feel very good.  Just looking for ideas for how to make the night more pleasant for him which would hopefully make it more pleasant for us as well.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teething and sleep, any suggestions?

• Are you able to slip him into his crib after he's fallen asleep in your arms?  I'm sorry you are having a rough time with teething.  Good luck to you!

(HUGS)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I eagerly await responses to this post.

DH spent last night in the LazyBoy with DS thanks to teeth. Motrin's not helping us and he won't sleep in our bed either.

I feel your pain.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTommysGirl56:

Are you able to slip him into his crib after he's fallen asleep in your arms?  I'm sorry you are having a rough time with teething.  Good luck to you!

(HUGS)

He wakes up every time we try.  Poor guy.

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • DD did unexpectedly fine with her molars, but part of it may have been tylenol. Motrin does nothing for her teething pain but tylenol before bed helps immensely. Hope you all are better soon!!
  • Someone on here suggested to us to elevate DD's crib mattress and surprisingly it did work.  We gave motrin, rocked her to sleep (as I also don't believe in CIO while teething), laid her in her crib with her head elevated and it did work.

Something about the excess saliva, etc.  They're supposed to feel less pressure/pain when their heads are elevated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was going to suggest Tylenol instead of Motrin.  And don't be afraid to dose again in the middle of the night if he wakes up (if it's been long enough since the last dose, of course).  GL! 
  • imagereannegummer:

Someone on here suggested to us to elevate DD's crib mattress and surprisingly it did work.  We gave motrin, rocked her to sleep (as I also don't believe in CIO while teething), laid her in her crib with her head elevated and it did work.

Something about the excess saliva, etc.  They're supposed to feel less pressure/pain when their heads are elevated.

Huh.  Maybe that's why he'll sleep in the rocker?  His head is elevated.  Might have to give that a shot

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagesmilelari:
    imageTommysGirl56:

Are you able to slip him into his crib after he's fallen asleep in your arms?  I'm sorry you are having a rough time with teething.  Good luck to you!

(HUGS)

He wakes up every time we try.  Poor guy.

Well in that case I second/ third/ fourth :o) the suggestions of PPs...trying Tylenol and elevating the head of the bed. I am with you, though. I don't do CIO even on good nights, so I totally understand your desire to hold LO even at the expense of your own comfort and rest. On a particularly bad night for Alannah, she went to sleep peacefully in her crib only with me lying next to the crib. If you've got an air mattress, or even just some comfy old comforter, I would also try camping out right next to the crib. I was actually able to get a decent amount of sleep by sleeping on the floor in front of the crib.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You can alternate motrin and tylenol every two hours, the combination really knocks out pain.

• Thank you so much for posting this question. We are right there with you, and it was SO helpful to see all the advice offered. I hope tonight's a better night for all of us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"