June 2011 Moms
Options

Broke down and bought a tube of...

benzoyl peroxide tonight.  I know it's Class C.  My dermatologist said "no" to it.  My OB/GYN said it was totally fine.  Everything on the 'net is 50/50 on whether it's safe. I initially decided it wasn't worth the risk, if there's any at all.

But the stress of worrying about my skin is getting to me, and stress isn't good for the baby either.  So I'm using it in tiny amounts. I feel like a terrible mother though.

I know some of you are totally staying away from all the OTC stuff and some of you are using ProActiv and other things.  I'm sure it's all no big deal but I hate feeling "risky."  I wanted to buy the Novena or Belli skin care washes, but that stuff is just so expensive for something that might not even work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Broke down and bought a tube of...

• Options

You are not a horrible mom to be. A little bit is probably just fine. I have been using a little every night lately and my doc said it was fine too.

Colace (stool softner) is also a Cat C drug as well as several other drugs that are used during pregnancy.  =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    IMO I think everything is fine in moderation! That includes food and products! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB said Proactiv is fine, and benzoyl peroxide is the main ingredient.  She said the only acne medications you have to stay away from are the kind taken orally like Accutane.  I wouldn't worry too much about OTC topical brands.
  • Options
    I use Proactive as well and my doctor said keep using it.  I feel like it isn't working as great as it was before I was pregnant though, these hormones!!! I agree that everything is fine in moderation.  I just pray for the best outcome for my baby.  Everything is so scary not knowing what is going on in there. 
  • Options

Two on my asthma meds are class C and I felt terrible taking them but my OB said they were fine and the consequences of going off them could be even worse for the baby.  Class C doesn't necessarily mean dangerous, it just means they don't know if it is harmful.  

Don't beat yourself up...your skin will thank you ;) 

• Options
    imagenic5606:

You are not a horrible mom to be. A little bit is probably just fine. I have been using a little every night lately and my doc said it was fine too.

Colace (stool softner) is also a Cat C drug as well as several other drugs that are used during pregnancy.  =)

Well to OP I'm sure you will be fine as long as you are just using  little and I would trust what my Dr. said as well. What face stuff are you using as I've never really had a problem with acne but am now, don't know what is best to get.

And to you, I totally missed your BFP.  I don't know how that happened, but congrats to you!

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    I caved and bought some too last week. I'm feeling slightly guilty, but moderation, right?
  • Options
    I've been using some stuff that's 5% benzoyl peroxide and the research I did said it wasn't harmful to pregnancy. Not that it's helping that much. My face looks horrible! How depressing... :(
  • Options
    imageMrsPBNJ0220:

Well to OP I'm sure you will be fine as long as you are just using  little and I would trust what my Dr. said as well. What face stuff are you using as I've never really had a problem with acne but am now, don't know what is best to get.

To wash my face, I just use unscented, white Dove soap for sensitive skin.  I tried Cetaphil at another poster's advice, but it didn't seem to get my make-up off well enough.

As for the zits, I bought Neutrogena On-The-Spot acne cream.  It's only 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, but it always worked really well for me on the occasional zit before I got pregnant.  

And thanks to the other posters who weighed in.  I feel a bit better about this.

• Options
    imagetarmar81:

As for the zits, I bought Neutrogena On-The-Spot acne cream.  It's only 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, but it always worked really well for me on the occasional zit before I got pregnant. 

I use this occasionally. I've read that it's okay because it's such a small amount.

BFP#1: 01/20/10 -- M/C 6w BFP#2: 06/22/10 -- M/C 5w BFP#3: 09/27/10 -- DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12/12 -- M/C 5w3d BFP#5: 12/06/12 -- EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have the most sensitive skin that I know, and having fair skin makes it work. The only skin care products that I use and trust are Clinique for my facial care, and Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power Cream Body Wash. The main ingredient in Neutrogena is salicylic acid.

Salicylic acid is known for its ability to ease aches and pains and reduce fevers. These medicinal properties, particularly fever relief, have been known since ancient times, and it was used as an anti-inflammatory drug. Some researchers believe that salicylate is an essential micronutrient in the human diet, potentially qualifying as a vitamin, namely Vitamin S.

Salicylic acid is used to treat acne, warts and other dermatological problems. There are no studies specifically looking at topical salicylic acid in pregnancy. Oral salicylic acid has not been associated with an increase in malformations if used during the first trimester, but use in late pregnancy has been associated with bleeding, especially intracranial bleeding.

Topical salicylic acid is common in many over-the-counter dermatological agents, and the lack of adverse reports suggests a low teratogenic potential.

A wide range of different chemicals and environmental factors are suspected or are known to be teratogenic in humans and in animals. A selected few include:

Drugs and medications: tobacco, caffeine, drinking alcohol (ethanol) (see fetal alcohol spectrum disorder), isotretinoin (13-cis-retinoic acid, Roaccutane), temazepam (Restoril; Normisson), nitrazepam (Mogadon), nimetazepam (Ermin), aminopterin, androgenic hormones, busulfan, captopril, enalapril, coumarin, cyclophosphamide, diethylstilbestrol, phenytoin (diphenylhydantoin, Dilantin, Epanutin), etretinate, lithium, methimazole, penicillamine, tetracyclines, thalidomide, trimethadione, methoxyethyl ethers, Flusilazole, valproic acid, and many more.

Environmental chemicals: polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polychlorinated dibenzodioxins a.k.a dioxin, polychlorinated dibenzofurans (PCDFs), hexachlorobenzene hexachlorophene, organic mercury, ethidium bromide, etc.

Ionizing radiation: atomic weapons fallout (Iodine-131, uranium), background radiation, diagnostic x-rays, radiation therapy

Infections: cytomegalovirus, herpes virus, parvovirus B19, rubella virus (German measles), syphilis, toxoplasmosis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus. (An easy way to remember maternal infections is TORCH: Toxoplasmosis, Other agents, Rubella, CMV and HSV.

Metabolic imbalance: alcoholism, endemic cretinism, diabetes, folic acid deficiency, iodine deficiency, hyperthermia, phenylketonuria, rheumatic disease and congenital heart block, virilizing tumors

The status of some of the above substances (e.g. diphenylhydantoin) is subject to debate, and many other compounds are under varying degrees of suspicion. These include Agent Orange, nicotine, aspirin and other NSAIDs. Other compounds are known as severe teratogens based on veterinary work and animal studies, but aren't listed above because they have not been studied in humans, e.g. cyclopamine.

Teratogenic effects also help to determine the pregnancy category assigned by regulatory authorities; in the United States, a pregnancy category of X, D, or C may be assigned if teratogenic effects (or other risks in pregnancy) are documented or cannot be excluded.

Isotretinoin (13-cis-retinoic-acid; brand name Roaccutane), which is often used to treat severe acne, is such a strong teratogen that just a single dose taken by a pregnant woman may result in serious birth defects. Because of this effect, most countries have systems in place to ensure that it is not given to pregnant women, and that the patient is aware of how important it is to prevent pregnancy during and at least one month after treatment.

Medical guidelines also suggest that pregnant women should limit vitamin A intake to about 700 ?g/day, as it has teratogenic potential when consumed in excess.

So I would recommend using those products because one, the Neutrogena costs about $6 a bottle, and two, because Clinique can be bought at the mall, and third, since they're safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"