3rd Trimester
Options

XP: Bundle Me/bunting question

I remember reading someone (and I think it was on the Bump boards) that using a bunting, like the JJ Cole Bundle Me in a car seat can void insurance or there was some kind of safety issue with it. Could someone explain that for me or post a link? My friend was using one with her baby yesterday (I have one too) but I didn't want to say anything until I got my facts straight and knew why it was a "no-no". Thanks so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Bundle Me/bunting question

• Options

Just warning you, that might annoy her if you give unsolicited baby gear advice.

BUT, the issue is anything that interferes with the straps or comes between the baby and the straps or buckles. A car seat cover that is shower-cap style is okay, but nothing that interferes with any legitimate parts of the car seat can void your warranty.

• Options
    thanks! she's actually my closest friend and we swap baby info a lot, otherwise I wouldn't say anything. thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also read this on the bump, but I asked my hospital & Dr if it was ok for me to use my Bundle me.  They both said yes.  The straps come through the Bundle Me, so it should be fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMrsHershey:
    I also read this on the bump, but I asked my hospital & Dr if it was ok for me to use my Bundle me.  They both said yes.  The straps come through the Bundle Me, so it should be fine.

I would believe the car seat manufacturer over my doctor or hospital. If you have questions there should be a number on the seat or the instruction manual.

• Options

All car seat manufacutres say not to use them thats how it voids you warretny and could void your insurance claim if its used.

Safety wise they are not safe because they have no testing (even tho they say it passes testing).  It can change the way the harness sits on the childs shoulders or pinches the harness so it does not sit flat. Here are also what other techs say about using them

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=12156

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=65315

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=58996

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30084

• Options

imageMrsHershey:

Is the person you talked to at the hospital or your doctor an employee for the car seat manufacture of your car seat or a certifed child passanger safety tech?  If not then I would never listen to them about car seat usage.  Im a car seat tech and when I took dd home (a dec baby) the nurse at the hospital told me that I should keep my daughter bundled up in her blanket then buckle her in the car seat and she also told me the straps were to tight because she could not fit her fingers between my dd and the harness.  Sorry both are wrong she did not know I was a car seat tech.  I had the head of the unit in my room and the  next month I was sent the nurse update news letter stating if nurses wanted to give advice about car seats this is what you need to look for. 

So unless they people you have talked to has gone thru training or works for the car seat manufacture I really would not listen to them.

• Options
    I don't have the link, but we did hear about it in the baby care class AND we just had the Sheriff's office check out the car seats this weekend.  In both cases they told us if you add anything either between the carseat and the car or between the baby and the car seat it voids the warranty.  the only exception that I know of is that Graco does allow you to use a pool floaty or a towel if you need to increase the incline (weird I know).  We had a bundle me but returned it for an Eddie Bauer one that just goes over the car seat, not under the baby, and that's ok per the Sheriff.
  • Options
    I would think it should be pretty obvious not to use anything that would seem to interfere with the car seat's ability. Also they recommend not using inserts if they didn't come with the car seat.
  • Options

imageTwinkandBubba:
    I don't have the link, but we did hear about it in the baby care class AND we just had the Sheriff's office check out the car seats this weekend.  In both cases they told us if you add anything either between the carseat and the car or between the baby and the car seat it voids the warranty.  the only exception that I know of is that Graco does allow you to use a pool floaty or a towel if you need to increase the incline (weird I know).  We had a bundle me but returned it for an Eddie Bauer one that just goes over the car seat, not under the baby, and that's ok per the Sheriff.

All car seat manufacutres ok the use of a pool noodle or rolled towel.  Its to get the recline an newborn needs.  If the seat is not reclined enough then the head can fall foward and because the wind pipes are still so soft the baby stops breathing. 

A shower cap style cover is ok to use (most likely the one you got) they go around the outside of the car seat not under baby.  Anything added to a car seat (head pillow, harness covers, a cover that did not come with the seat, seat covers that go under the base of the seat) all void your warrenty unless the manufauctre oks the use of it.

• Options
    My husband went with his sister a few weeks ago to the fire department to make sure her car seat was installed correctly, they told her there that it voided her warranty. 
  • Options
    so this would go for that velboa snuzzler thing too?
  • Options

imagelderea:
    so this would go for that velboa snuzzler thing too?

Yes that is not safe to use in the car seat either.  You can use it in the bouncer, swing or stroller.  I used the head supports and something like the snuzzler in those items.  But it is not safe to use in the car seat.

EDIT

If the head support is not enough that came with your car seat it is ok to use rolled reciving blankets on either side of the childs head.  If you want I can try and find a photo of what im talking about. 

• Options

There is now a Bundle me that goes on the car seats in the shower cap style that won't void the warranty---or so I have been told.  Check it out on babies r us....or amazon.  

• Options
    Hey I know I am on the wrong board, but I googled about this and found this thread. I want to know more about voiding car seat warranties..? I guess I should have assumed it came with one, but whats it for? I didn't realize they were prone to breaking?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"