December 2010 Moms
Options

How are you doing on thank you notes?

I try to stay on top of mine, but it's tough! I try to write them when the gifts come in because if I don't, then I find it more difficult to do later!

Any tactics on keeping up? How's your progress? Do you find it rude to give notes rather than send them (to people you work with or people you have frequent contact with)?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How are you doing on thank you notes?

• Options
    imageSchick'sChick:

I try to stay on top of mine, but it's tough! I try to write them when the gifts come in because if I don't, then I find it more difficult to do later!

Any tactics on keeping up? How's your progress? Do you find it rude to give notes rather than send them (to people you work with or people you have frequent contact with)?  

My shower was 10/3 and they were done by the following Friday. I preaddressed some envelopes. I have gotten some stray gifts and write the thank you as soon as I can get to it.

As far as handing people thank you's... If you see them everyday, I don't see why it would be rude.

• Options

I am trying to stay on top....I should be doing mine from my last shower RIGHT NOW (last week) because I have another shower on Wednesday.  

I gave my co-workers thank you cards to them, well in their mailboxes, at work.  My neighbor might get hers walked to her and stuck in her mailbox.  Save a stamp! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had all my shower thank you notes out a couple days later.  With random gifts I try to get them out asap or else I'll forget.  I always think it's nice to send the thank you card.
    imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My shower was last week and I still haven't done them.  Hoping to work on them tonight and over the next couple days since I only have a couple hours work each day. 

But I feel like a total slacker.  I also haven't found thank yous I love, but I bought some that I like and am starting with those, so no more excuses!!  I tend to like getting thank yous in the mail, and will send all of them, but I can understand why sometimes they are handed out in certain situations.

• Options

I have this strange compulsion about thank you cards. I have to do them right away. If you came to my house gift in hand I'd be writing out the thank you card as you were pulling out of the driveway.

For some reason it is one of those tasks that if I procastinate on I get really anxious.

• Options
    Totally slackin, I've done about a dozen of the 40+ I need to do.
  • Options
    I write mine immediately.  I finished my shower thank yous in the first 2 days after the shower.  For other gifts, they are done that night.  I don't want to forget and the way my brain is working these days, writing thank yous is  a now or never sort of thing.
  • Options

My first shower was 10/23, so I NEED to get them out this weekend.  I got some really cute stamps as an incentive to make it a little fun. 

I am also NOT allowed to touch anything until the thank you is sent out, so that helps a little.  I'd really like to get things sorted, washed, exchanged/returned, and put away soon so I WANT the thank yous sent out.  Smile

I think it's one of those things that you just need to make time for, even if it's just 30 mins after dinner tues/thurs or something.  

• Options
    My shower is next weekend and I intend to have my TY notes out by the end of that week. Any gift I've gotten already I write the TY note for within a day or two and get it sent out. I like to just sit down and do them, but if I was hurting for time, I'd do at least 3-5 a night (even if it had to be in bed before I fell asleep) until they got done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I haven't started. I'm lame.

I don't find it rude to give the card in person. From the receiving end, I sometimes enjoy getting the thank you card in person because I can chat with the person who's dropping it off.

• Options

DH was actually big on keeping us on track with these. He ordered some cute cards for us to use before our shower, and the day after the shower, he and I sat down together and wrote notes for everything we'd received so far.

We haven't gotten any other gifts since the shower, so we're in good shape right now, but I figure we'll probably have another wave of gifts as my due date gets closer. If we haven't done them by Thanksgiving weekend, I think that will be my cue to sit down and write some more notes.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I have one to do but that's only because I just got the gift in the mail. :)

How am I doing on gifts for birthdays, new babies, and christmas? That's another story.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do pretty good about getting them out. I keep a running list in my phone of the random ones people mail or drop off, so they don't get lost or forgotten. Ive got two to write right now, but I got the gifts this weekend, so I'm not behind. And I'm lucky enough to be able to write them at work during down times.
    Honor3 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My shower was on 10/17 and all the thank yous have gone out except the one to MIL and SIL because I'm insisting DH write them and write them each a nice note.

So, of course, that's not done.  Because he's a slacker.

• Options
    I always mail mine, even if it's someone I see on a regular basis.  I get all of my thank you cards sent out with a week of receiving a gift, max.  usually it's the next day.  I just make myself do it right then and there.  my goal is to get all of my thank you cards out the monday after my shower, which is next saturday.
  • Options
    My shower was last Sunday and I had all my thank you notes sent out by Friday.  I hate waiting to do them and always have been really good about getting them out quickly. 
    It's a GIRL! Born 12/16/10 Baby 2.0 is on the way! Due in June.
  • Options
    I'm the odd man out.  Shower was two weeks ago, stack of thank you's is sitting on my dining room table.  They'll get done eventually.  I don't see why getting one a few weeks later is rude or anything, as long as you get one.  I'm doing lots of grading instead to try to prep for maternity leave!
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options

I finished all my thank you notes the Wednesday after my shower. It was such a relief to get it all done. Of course, there are little things here and there I'll have to do, but I try to make it a point to get those out as soon as I get them, so I don't get behind.
    As for handing out thank yous, I generally say no, unless the invitations were handed out also.

• Options

I also made an Excel Spreadsheet.  I basically had one for the invitations, so I just took all of the names from the invitations, and added a column for the gift, thank you card sent, and birth announcement sent.  As I got a gift I wrote down what the gift was next to the sender's name then wrote out my thank you card, and checked it off as sent as I did so. 

I then plan on sending a birth announcement to everyone that was invited to the baby shower, whether or not they attended or sent a gift so everyone will be checked off of that part of the list once LO is here, and those are printed off.

If I didn't have a spreadsheet there's no way I'd be able to keep track, since out-of-town relatives are still sending in gifts post-shower.

And for my father's co-workers, and for my BFF and her family those were hand delivered.  So I don't think it's rude, when you see the people on a normal daily basis.

• Options
    Apparently the decorations package my aunt ordered for my shower came with thank you notes, so she said she'd give them to me at my shower (11/13).  I'm too cheap not to use them, lol.  Once I have them, I'll have them written and mailed (or hand delivered to co-workers, etc., I see no problem with that) ASAP.  I'm a stickler for prompt thank you notes:  my mom was in the ICU immediately after our wedding, but DH and I still had our notes finished within 2 weeks.  My family will talk about you if you're not fast enough, pretty much no matter the excuse, lol. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"