Breastfeeding
Options

Can you produce too much?

This might be a stupid question, and I am NOT complaining, and I know that there are many people who have low supplies... That being said: So far I have had a good supply, and I thank God daily because I EP and want LO to get as much BM as possible.  I have been able to freeze some everyday too.  But in the last 3 weeks, I have had several clogged milk ducts in which I have had to pump, pump, and pump some more.  I also seem to be producing more, and freezing a lot more.  I am not complaining, but I am filling up my deep freeze fast, and I was hoping not to have to use that stash until it had been in there 6 months or I stopped producing.  I have 3 months to go! Can you produce too much?  Are there any affects on the quality of the BM?  I am SO THANKFUL for the quantity that I am able to produce, I just worry about the quality.

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can you produce too much?

• Options
    I have a huge over-supply of BM.  The quality is just the same, but by pumping you have just tricked your body into thinking that it needs more than it does (in my case, my body thinks I have triplets at least, lol).  You can try to slowly drop pumping sessions to diminish your supply.  I haven't really tried to do this because I am paranoid about lowering my supply too much, but I don't have room for all the extra so I have been donating my oldest BM in the freezer. 
  • Options

I don't want to loose my supply either!  I will have to look into donating...

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would look into Milkshare, I met a wonderful family that I have been blessed to donate milk to :)
  • Options
    I have a huge oversupply too. I get between 45-50oz/day and that is with only 4 pumping sessions.  I had a major problem with clogged ducts because of it too (2-3x per week). But I started taking lecithin 4x each day and I rarely get clogged ducts anymore.  The clogged ducts really made me want to quit pumping, but the lecithin made things SO much better. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"