Cloth Diapering
Options

Talk to me about CD'ing a newborn.

I'm just starting to build up a stash.  So far I've got 8 one-size pockets, and will probably will end up with twice as many of the same.  I was also about to order some Kushies AIO because they're having a great sale, but they're fitted, and I can't decide whether to bother with anything newborn sized.  

I'm thinking maybe doing a combo of disposables and CD for the newborn stage.  But I'm guessing my one-size pockets won't be good until the cord falls off, right?  What's a good option for the newborn stage?  Approximately how long until LO will fit into the infant fitteds?  Any other tips?  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------
4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  

Re: Talk to me about CD'ing a newborn.

• Options

I haven't used Kushies, but I know they have a terrible reputation.

For DD1, we used prefolds and covers.  I had 12 orange-edge (nb) and 18 yellow-edge (infant) prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers.  I also had six covers - two xs Thirsties, two size 1 Thirsties Duos and 2 nb Litewraps.  And five Snappis.  This worked very well.  I think pfs are a great nb option.  They are much cheaper than other options, which is a plus particularly because babies outgrow nb diapers so quickly.

This time, I've added some newborn fitteds - mostly Kissaluvs size 0.  They fit DD2 very well.  We're also still using the prefolds.

Most one-size fitteds won't fit a newborn.  DD1 didn't fit into her BG 3.0s until she was 3 months old.  I have been able to get Rumparooz and FuzziBunz OS pockets onto DD2, but she is already 9lbs3oz.  They are very bulky on a newborn, though.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

we're using mostly prefolds right now [my daughter is 3.5 weeks old] and will use a lot more one-size aios and pockets once she's a little bigger. i have a couple of sized aios and honestly, the prefolds/ covers are so easy to change i don't see much of a difference.

we also have mother-ease sandy's fitteds in xs and s and the xs fit her well but the snaps take a little longer than using a prefold with a snappi.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used GMD orange edge newborn prefolds.  They are cheap, and I think just as easy as using pockets, especially with as often as we change diapers.  LO is 6 weeks old and just now switched up to the yellow infant GMDs, but he is a big kid.  We used Thirsties covers and some cheap newborn covers I found for like 5 bucks a piece.  Worked great!
  • Options

I haven't CDed a NB yet, but I have picked out a variety of things for our stash. From what I can tell, one-size CDs will not work for a NB, so I am not even factoring those into our NB count. We will have some fitteds+covers, some flats + covers, and some AIOs all sized specifcally for itty bitties. We'll go with the one-size options for post-NB. Here are two sites that were very helpful for me:

https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/09/cloth-diapering-newborn.html

https://www.talesofthewife.com/2010/04/cloth-diapering-newborn.html

• Options
    I loved Kissaluvs for the newborn stage.  We also had some XS BG AIOs.  DS did quickly outgrown those. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

For the nb stage for DD, we used a combination of prefolds/covers, sized Thirsties pocket diapers, and a couple of different fitteds (KL0 and VeryBaby were my faves).

The issue with one-sized CDs isn't the cord, it's the fact that they don't fit until 10-12 lb. DD wasn't in them until after she was 3 months (but by all accounts she was a peanut, starting at 6 lb 12 oz).

Just our experience.

• Options
    Ok, I'm going to add a question. How many prefolds do you need for a newborn? TIA
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We had a mixture of NB diapers, but by far our favorite was KL0s.  Next time we'll get more so they can be our entire NB stash.  We used them w/ Bummis Super Brite covers for the first 4-6 wks, then Thirsties XS covers.  Our NB stash lasted 3 mo.  OS diapers won't fit until about 12 lbs.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    We used a combination of prefolds with covers (I bought 48 PFs but we could have done with 24-36 at most and 5-6 covers).  Be sure to buy enough covers as the NB poo gets everywhere and you will be too tired to keep rinsing covers.  We also had 10 swaddlebees for the NB stage to use with the covers.  This worked great for us.  Our LO was born on the smaller side at 6lb 4oz and fit quite nicely in her NB stash until almost 4 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"