Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Help me get a new laptop!

I think it is time for me to get a new laptop. Even with a recent upgrade to my memory, I'm already only at 11% free space. It's a constant struggle to keep it low enough to operate. I have as much on my external HD as possible but getting an ipod touch hasn't helped due to itunes.  My fan is also not functioning properly...noisy and not cooling right.

I wanted to get advice on specs, brands, and where to buy. HD space? Processor? etc.

I think I have it narrowed down to a HP or Toshiba. I was considering a Dell because my 10 yr old Dell is still completely functional and has held up well (my work orders these) but for what I want they're over my price range. We're thinking about checking the Black Friday sales to see if we can get anything that would fit my needs. I'm thinking I want to stay with 2.0+ ghz processor. Preferably 640 GB HD and 4+ GB memory with at least 15" screen. I'd like to stay within $600-900 since I already have my Office 2007 software (I'll be able to un-install and re-install it on my new computer, right?). I've checked BestBuy, Walmart, and Newegg; and I think this will be possible. Newegg had a reconditioned one for an awesome price but I'm not sure how I feel about having something reconditioned... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214085

I can't remember what memory we were able to increase in my current laptop to. Is there an easy way I can figure that out?

Thanks for any thoughts, direction, or advice.

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)

Re: Help me get a new laptop!

• Options

I'm not sure of what specs are considered good, but I have a Sony Vaio and adore it.  It's my second Vaio, thought the first was a desktop.  I bought it brand new from the Sony Style Outlet for a bargain.

Here are it's stats if it helps at all.  It's fantastic.

Processor: Intel? Core? 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
    Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR2-SDRAM-800
    Hard Drive:  500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm) Operating System: Windows? 7 Professional

Check out The Eco-Friendly Family, a
    Green Living Blog
    for eco-information and fun giveaways!

• Options

Also, this site has a great resource for viewing your comp's stats, if you need something to compare to.

https://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Green Living Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just got a Macbook Pro and are in love with it.  ;)
    Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • Options

That belarc download was great, Poonico!  Now I'm just questioning how much free HD space I actually have.

CABunny, I think thats a little out of my price range right now but fun for you guys!  (I'm also a little intimidated by all macs :-)

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Options

If space is your current issue, you might try using this program too.

Sequoia View lets you see at a glance the files on your computer in color coded blocks.  I found TONS of files that I didn't need any longer on my old computer that way.  Some things that were mass duplicates and things I no longer needed and had no idea they were still there.

I found it to be very helpful in cleaning up space.

https://download.cnet.com/SequoiaView/3000-2248_4-10549662.html

Green Living Blog

• Options
    imagePoonico:

I'm not sure of what specs are considered good, but I have a Sony Vaio and adore it.  It's my second Vaio, thought the first was a desktop.  I bought it brand new from the Sony Style Outlet for a bargain.

Here are it's stats if it helps at all.  It's fantastic.

Processor: Intel? Core? 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
    Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR2-SDRAM-800
    Hard Drive:  500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm) Operating System: Windows? 7 Professional

I'd also recommend a Vaio.  I can't say enough good things about mine.  I'm pretty hard on computers and I've yet to screw up a Vaio!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Word of caution about Dell - we hate - no, I DESPISE our last Dell purchase.  it had to have 2 motherboards replaced, several mic jacks, countless hours on the phone, finally get a full computer replacement after I called and bi*tched, followed by one more motherboard replacement on this one, and it's *still* having issues with one of the programs DH needs for work (not the only issue we had with both computers, ranged from internet connectivity to totally dying to sound input issues).  I can't tell you how frustrating it has all been.  We had a Dell prior to this one (well, and it's predecessor that we finally got them to replace) which lasted for 5+ years, but this experience has most likely made Dell our last stop next time.  

Good luck with whatever you choose - I have a feeling I'll be asking for suggestions a few years down the road!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We bought an Acer last Black Friday and really like it.  We got it on newegg.com for around $350 or $400, and it's worked at least as well as our HP that we spent nearly double on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"