Cloth Diapering

CDing idiots on Yahoo

I was just reading a Yahoo article about eliminating debt and there was a couple who tried "cloth diapers" as a way to save money.  In their 'advice' section they said don't do something like cloth diapers to save $60.  Then this is there paragraph about their CDing experience...duh.  I really want to write these people and tell them that they just gave CD's really bad press and they have no idea what they are talking about. 

"Cutting back so much has been hard, but we've learned a lot along the way. My wife learned some things are worth paying more for after trying to use cloth diapers -- which most people use as burp rags -- pinned inside training pants with plastic pants over them for our two kids, all so that she could reuse the diapers and not spend $60 a month on Pull-ups. As a result they both got horrible rashes, so we switched to a cheaper brand of regular diapers."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BFP#1 10/26/09 EDD 7/4/10 Beautiful Baby Boy born 2 weeks late 7/16/10 BFP#2 8/23/11 EDD 5/11/12 Natural Miscarriage @ 6 weeks BFP#3 5/22/12 EDD 2/10/13 Stick Baby!

Re: CDing idiots on Yahoo

• Yep.  Burp rags do not make good CDs.  Bet they grabbed the Gerbers right off the shelf and did zero research.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Every time I mention I CD I am positive that is what people are picturing.  They are shocked when they see the actual diapers.

Those gerber ones don't even work as burp rags.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally got the big-eyed reactions when I told people at work that I was going to CD.  I brought in a Lil Joey to show them that CDs have come a long way from when I wore them as an infant.
    The Bee Hive Blog

• My sister's SIL uses the gerber burp rags and plastic pants from Walmart as diapers.  And she complains that they leak and that CDs just don' work.  Um...honey do some research k.  She thought that since I CD I would understand her problems, then I showed her Lily's diapers. Now she wishes she would have not invested in the crap she uses.
  • imageyankeebaby2:

Every time I mention I CD I am positive that is what people are picturing.  They are shocked when they see the actual diapers.

This!  I gave my sister some newborn fitteds that I had made at her baby shower.  Everyone was amazed to see how far CDs had come.

And as for the article - I think it's really silly to discount $60 a month as not-worth-it savings.  That's $720 per year - not chump change.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • imageroundtheworldgirl:
    imageyankeebaby2:

Every time I mention I CD I am positive that is what people are picturing.  They are shocked when they see the actual diapers.

This!  I gave my sister some newborn fitteds that I had made at her baby shower.  Everyone was amazed to see how far CDs had come.

And as for the article - I think it's really silly to discount $60 a month as not-worth-it savings.  That's $720 per year - not chump change.

This.  No wonder they are in debt.  Do your research and do your math, people.  

• I think we should all comment with our CD experiences and show them the math. 
  • I'm not a good example of the math - I can't quit buying diapers. ;-)
    The Bee Hive Blog

• imageMrs.B6302007:
    I'm not a good example of the math - I can't quit buying diapers. ;-)

Hahaha!  I'm not a good example of the math either!  LOL  Total addict here myself!  However, even with all the diapers I buy, I am not spending more than $1500-$2k, which Consumer Reports says is the average spent on sposies until PLing.  

• imageroundtheworldgirl:
    imageyankeebaby2:

This! That's more than one full mortgage payment for me - I could make an extra payment a year with what I save (and that adds up in the end)! 

And $60/month could easily go toward something else that needs to be paid - I think it's a fantastic savings! 

Especially some people spend way more than $60 a month on sposies. I know of one couple who were spending $40/week.

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageUTKD:

imageMrs.B6302007:
    I'm not a good example of the math - I can't quit buying diapers. ;-)

Hahaha!  I'm not a good example of the math either!  LOL  Total addict here myself!  However, even with all the diapers I buy, I am not spending more than $1500-$2k, which Consumer Reports says is the average spent on sposies until PLing.  

True true!

The Bee Hive Blog

• I think people like that want it to fail so they dont have to put energy into it.

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • See, I still use the "old fashioned" prefold diapers, and people look at me like I have two heads. They can't understand why I would choose to CD, and also why I'd choose the "old" method over some of the newer ones (AIOs, fitteds, etc).

All I know is it's not that hard, E doesn't get rashes or leaks, and we've saved a heck of a lot more than $60.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I would still like to try the pre-folds - just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    The Bee Hive Blog

• imageUTKD:
    I think we should all comment with our CD experiences and show them the math. 

I'm not a good role model.  I haven't saved any money.  In fact cloth diapering is more expensive than disposables right now for me.   

• imagehomebird:

See, I still use the "old fashioned" prefold diapers, and people look at me like I have two heads. They can't understand why I would choose to CD, and also why I'd choose the "old" method over some of the newer ones (AIOs, fitteds, etc).

All I know is it's not that hard, E doesn't get rashes or leaks, and we've saved a heck of a lot more than $60.

I love prefolds for the newborn and pre-solids infant stage.  They're not absorbent enough for us these days with DD1, but DD2 is using them and they're great.  It's just the Gerber prefolds I have an issue with.  I bought some to use as burp cloths and for the most part, the spit-up just rolls right off them.  They suck.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"