Working Moms
Options

Help me with my Crock Pot . . .

I leave the house at 8am and don't get home until 6:30ish. Most of the crock pot recipes have 5-8 hours cook time and everything is getting overcooked. I even tried setting the time for an hour less since it would be on warm for so long and I tried using frozen meat thinking it would cook slower.

Any tips/tricks for making this work? I love having dinner ready when I walk in the door, but I'd like it to not be burnt or dried out.

Re: Help me with my Crock Pot . . .

• Options
    I usually leave my meat frozen and if it's still getting over done you can use one of those timers that are usually used to turn on Christmas lights at a certain time to turn the crock pot on at the time you would like.
  • Options
    light timer.  Just set it to turn on 5-8 hours before you want to eat and plug the crock-pot into it.  Voila. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagebrideofaussie:
    light timer.  Just set it to turn on 5-8 hours before you want to eat and plug the crock-pot into it.  Voila. 

OMG, that's an amazing idea!! I was struggling with the same thing! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • Options

imagebrideofaussie:

This is a brilliant idea! This may be a dumb question, but are there any foods that are risky to cook this way if they have to sit out for 3 hours or so before it starts cooking?

• Options
    imageBalancingJane:

imagebrideofaussie:

This is a brilliant idea! This may be a dumb question, but are there any foods that are risky to cook this way if they have to sit out for 3 hours or so before it starts cooking?

This IS a great idea! I think most food is considered fine for 2 hours. Anything in the "danger zone" (not hot or cold enough) for 4 hours is considered hazardous. I think if it were frozen then 3 hours would maybe be ok. 

• Options
    image2-Step:
    imageBalancingJane:

imagebrideofaussie:

This IS a great idea! I think most food is considered fine for 2 hours. Anything in the "danger zone" (not hot or cold enough) for 4 hours is considered hazardous. I think if it were frozen then 3 hours would maybe be ok. 

Yeah, I would go frozen if it's going to sit out for three hours.
  • Options
    Sometimes I make stuff the night before or on the weekends and just reheat the next day. I like making it the night before b/c i prep while I'm prepping dinner for that night, so I"m cooking anyway.  I would prep it then anyway b/c I don't have time in the AM.  So, it's just as easy to cook that night as it is the next day. I usually just have MH put it in the fridge before he goes to bed b/c he goes to bed later.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I know people who rave about cooking in their crock pot over night. I don't think it would be as tasty, since you need to re-heat, but it's another option too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"