December 2010 Moms
Options

Not getting rocker/glider?

We are just finishing off the nursery, and I'm having second thoughts about getting a glider.

Anyone else not getting one?  Why not?

Those that are getting one/have one, why do I HAVE to have one?

The room is quite small, so it will be tight with a glider.  Then there's the cost.  And then what are we going to do with the chair afterwards? (only having 1 child, Craiglist is full of them).  For the few months of my life, can I just walk down the flight of stairs to the living room and turn on the fireplace or do I absolutely have to have this glider in LO's room?

Re: Not getting rocker/glider?

• Options

You don't HAVE to have one, but apparently they are amazing for rocking the baby to sleep and nursing. Yes, you can get a rocker but gliders are a little easier and very comfy. 

We're being given one, and even still I'm not too sure where it will fit. If it doesn't fit in our new place we probably won't take it. 

You can always just sit up in bed with the baby and pillows propped up under your arm or during the day you can use the couch. I think it might get a little tiring going up and down stairs to breastfeed so often. 

• Options
    I got one with my first which was almost 11 yrs ago and I remember I never used it so I never bought one with my second daughter. I never missed it, I will not be getting one this time either. I just never really sat in the room that much to use it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My grandmother bought me one. I love it. I don't have a full nursery. The babies crib is in my room and the rocker. I understand the space issue. The glider is really nice for putting your feet up. I plan on using mine to rock LO to sleep and then breastfeed at night. I personally don't think you have to have a rocker, but this is my first one so I"m not sure. Some of my family didn't have one.... and they managed just fine.
  • Options
    I'm not getting a glider partially because I'm not convinced I'll need one. I work from home so during the day I'll probably breastfeed in my very comfortable work chair so I can work at the same time.  At night I can breastfeed in bed and during the evenings on the couch.  I know the rocking/gliding motion is comforting for babies but I'm not going to get a special chair unless it seems like we really need it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I thought I wouldn't need one, but we found one for $30 on Craigslist, so we said, 'what the heck' and got it.  Best $30 I've ever spent.  I've used it every single day since Andrew was born.  I still use it now when we read a book together before he goes to bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had one with DS1 and loooooved it. I just got one brand new @ a Kids Resale event recently (brand new in box) and it is already together and in the living room since LO will be down here with us @ night. I sit in it everyday!
  • Options
    We don't have one. With DS we had a lazy boy type thing in there and it never got used. I figured, if I made it through one kid without a rocker, I can make it through 2 without it!! Plus, DS and DD will share a room...there's already enough crap in there!
  • Options

I think gliders are better, but we've been given a hand-me-down rocker so we'll just use that.

It's a convenience thing. I bet you want something...so if you don't have one in your living room then just get somethign off craigslist used right now. But if you have one in your living room it's probably fine to go downstairs with the baby. 

• Options
    I wanted a glider, but also knew the room would be cramped with it in there and then there's the cost. So, we registered for a wooden rocking chair from BRU for about $100 and my grandparents bought it for us. It's in the room already, doesn't take up much space in the corner and is surprisingly comfortable. I figured 1000's of babies have been rocked in a wooden chair, mine can too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

~Amanda
    All are welcome in my posts

• Options
    this is like the EXACT post i have been thinking about starting all week. i am so torn. part of me really, really wants one, but i only want the upholstered, fluffy one and it's a million dollars and then what am i going to do with it when he's overbeing rocked and really, the rooms is pretty small. i just can't decide what to do but i am really glad you started this thread cuz the ladies have posted some great opinions and points so far. good luck deciding!
  • Options
    Fortunately we had an old recliner we bought when we first started living together that has been stored in our basement and that's what we're using.  It's actually really kind of big/bulky for the baby's room, but it's better than having to buy a new one.  I bet you could find something in CL's that would be worth the price.
  • Options
    I just slipcovered an upholstered arm chair for LO's room. I am hoping that with an ottoman will be enough. If not, I will have to convince the DH that a $1000 glider is worth it as I hate the wood ones. But that's my own issue. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did not have one with the trio and will not get one this time. We also never rocked or fed to sleep, the trio were great about being put down awake but sleepy and just going to sleep on their own. Saved us having to break any "bad habits" later.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    i had mentioned to dh that id like a glider but because of the cost it was ok that we dont get one and itd be more of a luxury item.  then one day after work i came home and he had bought one for me and baby=)  he said it was on sale at wal mart.  this is my first baby so im not sure how much ill *need* it but right now with all my back issues... its just nice to rock in it with a heating pad on my back.  lo always kicks and squirms the most when im rocking on the glider lol  i thought it was supposed to put babies to sleep!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"