VBAC

c/s scars

I hate my scar.  2-1/2 yrs and it's still prominent. Also - I get horrible ingrown hairs in/on it. Drives me crazy.  Anyone else?

Re: c/s scars

• My scar is bigger and more jagged than I thought it would be. I remember pre-baby people telling me how small the scar would be. I must have a different impression of the word small because that scar seems pretty damn big to me. I never measured it, though.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't even see mine anymore because of the belly, but it actually has gotten really faint on one side and is still a bit more noticable on the other.  It's a tad crooked, too - my OB actually apologized to me for that when I went in for my 6 wks pp.  Fortunately, though, mine healed pretty well and hasn't caused any big problems. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemargeincharge2:

My scar is bigger and more jagged than I thought it would be. I remember pre-baby people telling me how small the scar would be. I must have a different impression of the word small because that scar seems pretty damn big to me. I never measured it, though.

I agree.  And I think mine is about 5".

• I HATE mine!  And, I googled "c-section shelf" the other day and was somewhat relieved to find that it's a common problem -- I thought I was the only one with the weird overhang.  Mine is still bright red and very jagged.  My husband is a doctor and said the OB who did it didn't do a very good job from what he's seen in comparison. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They didn't line mine up correctly, so I have a little lip on the top on one end, and on the bottom on the other. It's red, and yes, I have the shelf, too.

I hate it, but dealing with it is part of my healing process. I like to think that since (I plan for) all my other births to be VBACS that this is the one special thing my son has.....I carry around a reminder (not the BEST reminder, but one just the same) of him with me everywhere. (I just started crying writing this.) I apologize to him all the time for the way he entered the world, and that I am sorry that I'm not happy about the way he got here...but I have to change my focus and look at my scar as the single thing that has changed me, deep down in my soul. I am such a different person than I was 14 months ago. 

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Mine is longer than most (I think it is 7-7.5 inches) because I was put under general and they needed to get the baby our much quicker.  She was so high up that my Peri had to make my incision longer to reach her.

I don't have the skin that hangs over (my stomach is back to completely flat) but, it is so long that it hangs out of my bikini bottoms on either side.  I guess I can't complain about my scar showing since I can still wear a bikini and have no stretch marks.

• My OB is known for her awesome looking scars, but mine formed a keliod & it's really nasty looking. I have constant irritation, can't wear jeans without it hurting me ( I wear yoga or sweat pants way more than I care to admit), and sometimes I get really sore or sharp pains.

It sucks. I never expected this. I'm really fair & scar easily, so I wasn't expecting it to be as "pretty" as some I've seen but geez. 

I was referred to a dermatologist by another OB in the practice (mine was out on vacation when I had my annual) & my appt is next month. Re-exising the scar is one of the suggestions. Like I want to get cut again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Every time my OB looked at my incision, she kept saying how great it looked and that "she does good work." 11 weeks out and I can hardly tell it apart from my stretch marks.
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Mine's not too bad but I think I might try using Mederma or something to see if I can get it to fade more.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine actually looks pretty good except that I do find it hard to shave over. Two years later, it is almost white/skin tone instead of red/purple. I don't have a shelf but it is a little bit longer on one end since they had to extend the cut in order to get DD's head out. She was seriously wedged in tight!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"