Health & Exercise
Options

Weight gain high for excercising FTM-help!

Hi All,

Looks like there many of you on here are extremely active.  Before I got pregnant I ran a marathon and was working out 6 times a week doing weight training and cardio.  I started at about 125lbs pre-pregnancy (5'4").

I thought that for sure I would be in the normal weight gain range as I still work out about 5 times a week doing spinning, some running, elliptical and weight training, but I'm probably still eating the way I did when I was training for the marathon. I'm up 20 lbs at 23 weeks pregnant and I really can't believe it and I'm so completely frustrated bc I really don't eat junk food and I really work out hard. The only thing that made me feel somewhat better was the doc told me at my ultrasound 2 days ago that I have a big baby boy in there and he's measuring over 2 weeks ahead.

Anyone have any advice for me or anything to make me feel better?  I know this is just temporary but I'm really not use to seeing these numbers on the scale.

Thanks! 

Re: Weight gain high for excercising FTM-help!

• Options
    It's definitely normal to feel a little crazy about the weight gain... but it sounds like you are staying healthy and active.  Really your body knows what it needs to do for itself and mommies gain differently during pregnancy... some early and some later.  Keep a balanced diet and I would get some extra protein when I could just because it helped me stay full for longer than carbs. You sound like you are doing a great job! Good luck!!
  • Options
    Agree with pp.  It sounds like you're doing what you should be.  I'm exercising, eating healthy, and up 17-18 lbs at 24 weeks....I think we're all a little bit different.   Just stay healthy and it'll all be ok!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a few friends in almost your exact same boat.  It was almost ALL water weight with them as they were still working out pretty hard, like you.  They all dropped almost all of their weight once the baby was born (like that week)!
  • Options
    Hi All - Thank you so much for the advice and encouraging words. I already feel much better :).
  • Options

I gained 4 pounds the first month I was pregnant. My MW said that was good for me and not to pay any attention to scales... to let my body do what it needed. Seemed like good advice (but I still weigh myself every chance I get).

No one ever talks about our body fat and how that impacts weight gain. Logically, it makes sense to me that with low body fat, your body will need to compensate with some additional early weight gain. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The very same thing is happening to me as well. I walk-run thirty to forty five minutes daily and eat sensibly and am gaining ahead of schedule. Just wanted to chime in and let you know that you have company in being very concerned!!!!
  • Options
    I think its completely normal to feel the way you feel when you are used to working out and being in good shape. I usually run 1 marathon a year and am used to being in good shape. With DS #2 I ran most of my pregnancy and gained 65 pounds!! I finally gave up on watching the scale because my body just kept gaining weight. My DS was two weeks early and almost 9 pounds. With this pregnancy I have done little running and stuck to the elliptical and done absolutely nothing, besides chase my toddler and I am at 23 pounds right now. Guess you just have to trust your body and remember you are active and it will all come off once your little one is here:)
  • Options

I know this is going to sounds crazy but with my first pg I was like you, worked out like crazy and I gained a ton of weight, almost 50 lbs! With this pg I have hardly exercised, maybe some walking and gym every couple weeks but Ive only gained 20. I also have noticed on the days I do go to the gym Im heavier the next day. Its just so strange!

I also read somewhere that intense workouts make your baby bigger because there is extra blood flow to the baby. I dont know if I believe that but its maybe true??

• Options

Don't worry!!  With my first I gained most of my weight up front and then gained ZERO for the last 8 weeks.

I had big kids and was back down to my pre-preg weight by my 6 week appointment.

I was also very active until the day I delivered with both of them.  Just stay active and eating healthy!

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options
    I had the exact same stats as you pre-pregnancy. I'm also a marathoner so I was used to controlling my weight with exercise. I still continued to run throughout my entire pregnancy but the weight came on fast! I gained 10lbs my first tri and another 15lbs my second tri and about 10 lbs my last tri. I didn't gain anything the last month or so of my pregnancy. My doc told me that because of my exercise history and size that I was borderline underweight and he wanted me to gain the entire 35 lbs recommended, especially since I intended to stay very active during my pregnancy. It was VERY hard for me to wrap my head around that and even harder to see that scale climb higher and higher. In the end I think your body gains what it needs regardless of what you try to do to control that. I know its hard to do but try to let go and let your body do what its going to do. It will come off, I promise! Also, staying active the entire time will help you so much through the rest of your pregnancy, delivery and those early days after your little one is here.
  • Options
    Wow - thank you all SO MUCH for the replies. It has helped me tremendously to read what you all had to say. I had a great workout this morning and I dressed myself up for work if my favorite maternity outfit and I feel so much better. Very thankful to have a group of supportive women on here.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"