Working Moms
Options

Interview Dilemna (longish)

Due to my boss retiring, I am in the process of searching for a new job and I'm not sure what to say at my interviews. I know I don't "Have" to tell them I'm pregnant. To be honest, if I'm not wearing a fitted shirt, you still can't tell. But I'm hoping to take anywhere from 8-12 weeks when I give birth. I fully intent to go back to work full-time after that. That would put me out March to May or June, depending). That's issue #1.

Issue #2 is that we have a week in Disney in Florida mid-June that's already booked and paid for a family reunion It's my 80 year old grandmother's 'last' request to "see her entire family one more time before she dies". She's paying for the hotel and admissions as well as a food plan. How could I say no to that? One cousin is even driving from Tennessee because his family of 5 can't afford the plane tickets.

I feel like I should be telling the interviewer all this just to be totally upfront, but then I'm concerned that I won't get the job if I disclose all of it. I worked for my last place for 10 1/2 years and very rarely took sick days, so I'm obviously very dedicated/loyal (and luckily don't get sick often). I feel like my good qualifications should outweigh the time I won't be there but realistically, I'm sure they don't feel the same. WWYD? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Interview Dilemna (longish)

• Options

I'd mention it during offer negotiations, not the interview. During the interview, both parties are more concerned about qualifications and fit. Obviously, if one of the job requirements is to run an event during that time, then it's a no go, but assuming there are no specific requirements that are directly at odds with the time off that you need, I wouldn't mention it during the interview process. It should be disclosed before accepting an offer, however, and at that time you can negotiate any leave you will need to take.

Keep in mind, they can't ask you about medical conditions and such, but they can ask you if you have any pre-scheduled time off in the near future. You can't lie, but I would first ask if there are any specifics to the job that would interfere.

• Options
    Taking a new job while pregnant I think it would be more feasible for you to take only 6 weeks.  You can always ask and see what they say. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    none of this should be brought up in the interview process, only after the postion is offered to you and you are negotiating. I don't bring up anything "personal" during the interview, I want it to only have to do w/ my qualifications etc.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hadn't thought about the negotiating meetings. Unless they directly ask, I'll wait until then. Thanks ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"