LGBT Parenting
Options

Nursing Bras

I have a confession to make.....nursing bras confuse the hell out of me! Throughout this pregnancy, my already overflowing cup size has remained the same and I've continued to wear my usual bras. Now the the baby's arrival is near, I'd like to stock up on some nursing bras and tanks. I've read that when your milk comes in, your cup size can grow by a size or two. Yikes!

A few friends have recommened Bravado nursing bras. I found a coupon code for 25% off that expires today and would like to use it to stock up. What do you ladies think of this plan. I'll buy 2 bras in my current size, 2 in 2 cups sizes larger than my current size and two tanks. I'll keep the tags on most of them and then exchange whatever doesn't end up working. Do you think I'll have my bases coverred with these?

Also, how important do you think it is to stay away from underwire while breastfeeding? Honestly, I can't imagine an "out in public bra" without my beloved underwire.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing Bras

• Options

If you can, I'd go get measured at a lactation center. I went when I was about 35 wks and measured an F (normally a D) - and that was before my milk came in.  Crying  The Lactation Consultants talked me into getting a soft cup sports type bra that would grow with me when my milk came in. I lived in that thing (well, I bought a few extra) for a few months (coming from someone who never sees the light of day without underwire.)  Then I moved on to underwire, but had to abandon them because of recurring clogged ducts (as in multiple times a week.) I sucumbed to the fact that I was going to have a sqished uniboob until I was done nursing.

And even if you don't go the sports bra/soft cup bra route, I'd stock up on one. I had to sleep in a bra every night for 11.5 months because I leeked so badly at night. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our hospital had a nursing bra store in it.  The sales person would come to your room or to the nicu and measure you and tell you what size to get and you could purchase there.  Perhaps your hospital has this service as well.  I lived in the glamor mom nursing tanks.  I was really large usually a D and was well over that oncde my milk came in.  I found them supportive enough to wear out and about (which I did right away since I was at the nicu every day all day).  I also liked the fact that they held my tummy in well.  I had one underwire bra that I wore later on.  I also had to sleep in a bra and I found the tanks vey comfortable.  I really liked the johnson and johnson nursing pads.  I thought they were better than the medella ones and they were cheaper too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love my nursing tanks! I've gotten the extra large or 2X size since I'm a large woman.  To be honest I thought that I was going to overflow my tanks.  I still use Lansinoh pads to catch my leaky boobs.  I had gotten the tanks from Walmart and Target, but get them where you feel comfortable. 
  • Options

I'm not sure I'd bother buying any in your current/old size.  When the milk comes in, you are going to feel like Dolly Parton. Seriously. LOL Then they will go down a bit, but it is most likely that they will still be larger than what you have now.  The tanks will be great for that short period of time that you have giant milk filled boobies.  Definitely get some tanks! They are great, especially for the beginning!

I would say maybe get 2 that are one cup size up, and 2 that are two cup sizes up, and like you said, keep the tags on for returns.  I was a C pre-preg, a D during preg, and now wear the Bravado Bliss (love love love!) in a D/E.

Check your band measurement before you order too - I went up in band size due to the expansion of my ribcage (thanks Hen!).

As for the underwire, I never in a million thought I would wear a bra with no underwire...but I do every day now!  The Bravado Bliss is really nice because it is reinforced under the breast - hard to describe, but its like an underwire with no wire. LOVE it!

A couple of cheapie soft bras for nighttime are good too - I didnt need to sleep in bras for long, but they are nice to have for when you do.

Oh, and is this code something you can share? LOL

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I would recommend getting the tanks now (and breast pads), and getting the nursing bras later (once your milk comes in). I know you have the coupon now, but really, its better to wait until you know what your boobs are going to do. And yes, at least at the beginning, stay away from underwires (believe me, clogged ducts SUCK).

The tanks are great though. I lived in them for 90% of my maternity leave... and I still wear them every night. They are so so easy to nurse in, and I wear them through the night because I would leak by morning otherwise. I really didn't use my nursing bras much at all until I came back to work.

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Options

You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all the great advice. I'm going to buy two tanks and two of the original nursing bras, which don't come in specific cup sizes, but rather a range of cup sizes. Seems like that should start me off well.

I'll also look into getting measured at a lacation store. I have to check if our hospital has one. Never thought to check that out. Our hospital only does online tours so we haven't been there yet.

Here's the bravado code if anyone is interested. It's good until midnight tonight, EST and will save you 25% off your total order. TREAT-199

• Options
    Your in Maryland right?  Holy Cross has a lactation store that staffs lactation consultants. There is also the Breastfeeding Center in DC is great.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"