Detroit Babies
Options

Swim classes

I want to do swim classes for DD...she will be 9 months when classes start. Has anyone taken an under 1 yr. old child? Experiences?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Swim classes

• Options
    Lexi took a class last year when she was 6 months. WE liked it. It is basically you getting them comfy with being in the water. Only problem was the temp of the pool we did it at a local high school and the water was way too cold. Which was what they kept it at for the swim team so I understand but Lexi would turn blue sometimes. We are going to take another one after xmas.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Amy - Stacy had both girls in swim before they were one to get them use to the water and being around it.  Her girls take the glasses each winter and they are both total fish.  They like to be able to take their life jackets off (under supervision of course) and show off how well they can both swim.  I say the sooner the better!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I plan to do swim lessons with ds, just for something to do in the winter time.  How did you go about finding a class?  I know there is a swim school by us, but it is like 20$ per half hour class.
    Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hey I live in Oxford :) are you doing the parks & rec class?  I did that with my DD but I can't remember how old she was truthfully.  She was a baby but I think it was her second winter (she's a september baby).  You get in the pool with them and basically just get them used to the water.  There is a "teacher" but she is just there to help give you ideas on what to do with them in the water and hold babies :)

If you're a SAHM/WAHM and want to join the MOMs club let me know :)

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options

imagebeewltched:
    I plan to do swim lessons with ds, just for something to do in the winter time.  How did you go about finding a class?  I know there is a swim school by us, but it is like 20$ per half hour class.

Usually I get mailings from the parks and rec office with a booklet of upcoming classes. Check out nearby high schools too.

• Options
    imagembritto4:

Hey I live in Oxford :) are you doing the parks & rec class?  I did that with my DD but I can't remember how old she was truthfully.  She was a baby but I think it was her second winter (she's a september baby).  You get in the pool with them and basically just get them used to the water.  There is a "teacher" but she is just there to help give you ideas on what to do with them in the water and hold babies :)

Yeah - that's the one I was looking at. DD just loves the water and splashes around!

Could you send me a PM with the Mom Club info?

• Options
    I used to teach swim classes in high school and college at the local high school and we took DS when he was just around 1 year.  My recommendation is to take swim lessons at a YMCA or Rec because the high school pools are so cold and most kids are VERY cold. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

I have been taking Libby since she was 4 months old.  We love it.  We go to Goldfish (I work there) in Birmingham.  No tips really...I usually wear my suit under my clothes there, and change Libby when we get there.  Then after the class I change her first and then stick her in a bumbo (they have them at goldfish) so I can change.  When she was really little I would just strap her in her car seat and take it into the changing room with me.  Bring extra towels and receiving blankets so you always have something dry to lay them on/cover them up with. 

If you (or anyone else) is interested in trying out Goldfish, you can give them a call and ask for a free trial class.  There is no obligation, and they don't run sessions so you can sign up at any time. 

Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions!!

• Options
    imageamynicoletta:
    imagembritto4:

Yeah - that's the one I was looking at. DD just loves the water and splashes around!

Could you send me a PM with the Mom Club info?

I'm also in Oxford and we've done the P&R swim classes since 8 months (So, what? almost 5 years? :P ).  They're really well run, the pool isn't too cold, and they keep the room nice and warm.  I'd def. recommend them, good luck!

Married ~ DD 2004 ~ 2 2nd tri losses ~ DS 2011 5 weeks 1 day early ~ DD2 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"