School-Aged Children
Options

Does trouble at school = trouble at home?

If DC gets in trouble at school, do they receive a punishment at home?

The first 6 weeks of school, DD did well on conduct.   She's in K and they use a colored check system for behavior.  Good checks:  blue, green and purple.  Bad are yellow and red (maybe something else).   During the first 6 weeks, DD received 3 yellow check mostly for not following directions.  She's in K, her BFF is in her class.   I didn't think it was *that* bad.  There is an adjustment period.  HOWEVER, this past week, she recieved 3 yellow checks all for excessive talking.   Generally, our punishment is no friends afterschool.  Is that sufficient?  esp since it seems to be getting worse? WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does trouble at school = trouble at home?

• Options
    I reward at home for good days (we already have a reward system, so I just add to that to help him get to the end goal).  And, for bad days, we just do an earlier bedtime and/or no TV.  I figure, both going to bed and some quiet time can help improve his behavior the next day.  So, it's not so much a punishment, just a natural consequence b/c if you had a rough day you probably need some more rest at home.  not sure what to do about talking too much in class.  I kind of think that's a normal girl thing (lord knows I was guilty of that a few times as a kid).  But, for something like that, I think she might be more motivated if there was positive discipline involved.   
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    My son was in kindergarten last year and we did not have a consequence at home if he got into trouble at school. While at school he'd have the consequence for getting into trouble. Ex. time out, time taken off of fun activity, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't give a consequence at home because he already receives one at school from his teacher.  They will get time out of recess or free time centers.  I don't think he needs to be punished twice.  Also, reasons he is getting a consequence are for minor bad behavior, like talking.  If it was something more severe and was happening on a daily basis, then I might give a consequence at home.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My kids are both pretty uptight about following rules at school.  

However, I think it's okay to send the message to a kid that their behavior at school matters to mom and dad by giving an appropriate consequence.  

That being said, I don't think you have to feel like you should ramp up the at-home punishment because this was a rough week.  Maybe this week was a fluke!  I'd just be consistent. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Trouble at school = a conversation at home but not really punishment.  We talk about why the behavior was inappropriate and how to fix it and that usually does the trick. Once DD decided that part of fixing the problem was to write an apology to her teacher.  But that's as close to punishment as we've gotten so far.
  • Options
    I usually tell my parents that I would not punish your child for something he did at home, so I don't expect you to punish at home for something he does at school. I hate when the kids cry and sob "My mom is going to be so mad at me..." This applies for most behavior. For a major infraction or ongoing issue that is not getting resolved, home punishments can help. I do have a rule in my class that if it gets to the call home point, the child calls. It was his behavior that is causing me to call home- not mine. I let them tell Mom what they did and then I take over the call.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"