Multiples
Options

Prevacid question

My DS has just been put on Prevacid for AR after not getting results with Zantac. We are on day 2 and I am currently giving him half a 15mg tablet once daily. I noticed from alot of other post that most are giving twice a day. I am sure the MD wants to start with the smallest dose and increase as needed. I was just wondering how many of you found one dose daily was not enough? Of course i would not increase his dose without discussing with his pedi.

Re: Prevacid question

• Options

I think that Prevacid is dosed based on age, so your DS is probably at his 24 hour max.  When my DD was put on the Prevacid Solutabs at 4 months she was/is at half tablet twice a day, so I bet as he gets older they will up his dose to twice a day.

FWIW, be really happy they started him out with the Solutabs right away.  The compounded liquid version is basically worthless after 1-2 weeks, but insurance will typically only pay for it monthly.  I had to fight long and hard to get them to switch, and for insurance to cover it.  It made a world of difference for her!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • Options

we went from Zantac to Prevacid half tab twice a day.  My pedi prescribed based on weight I thought. Then they doubled it to one pill twice a day cuz it seemed like he still had issues.  Sometimes it seemed like it was working then sometimes not.  He'd puke it right up or while giving it.  Then he got to screaming while giving it to him.  

After he puked while giving it to him two weeks ago, I finally stopped all meds and this has been the most even temperament he's been ever.  All along I felt it was a gassy tummy that caused the upset and while he definitely has reflux, I think the meds made his stomach worse.  So just keep that in mind as you're analyzing if it's working.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAlishaMay:

FWIW, be really happy they started him out with the Solutabs right away.  The compounded liquid version is basically worthless after 1-2 weeks, but insurance will typically only pay for it monthly.  I had to fight long and hard to get them to switch, and for insurance to cover it.  It made a world of difference for her! 

For those mommas using the liquid version, talk to your pharmacist. I know at my pharmacy, we'll charge you for the full month, but give you 2 weeks worth, then give the second 2 weeks after you're out so you're not throwing away meds and so your baby gets what it needs all month long. Most pharmacies are really nice about that sort of thing. Sorry to butt in! Hope that helps someone out! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageflutepharm87:
    imageAlishaMay:

For those mommas using the liquid version, talk to your pharmacist. I know at my pharmacy, we'll charge you for the full month, but give you 2 weeks worth, then give the second 2 weeks after you're out so you're not throwing away meds and so your baby gets what it needs all month long. Most pharmacies are really nice about that sort of thing. Sorry to butt in! Hope that helps someone out! 

I wish our pharmacy did this!  I asked them and they said that they aren't able to for whatever reason.  Ugh!  I can't wait until she just outgrows this.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"