Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Enfamil Gentlease: anyone have problems? (TMI)

We recently switched to Gentlease because WIC doesnt do Simliac so we got like 5 cans of this stuff. Ever since we switched, DD has had nothing but problems. This one is supposedly for fussiness and gas, well she puts my H to shame. It smells like she'd eaten rotten eggs. Her poop has even changed. It went from a paste yellow to this grayish-green to a grayish green with yellow seedy stuff in it (like when I was feeding her breast milk) I dont bf or pump anymore because she wouldnt latch. She spits up a lot too. I thought it was due to the AR but she's been on meds for over a week. Just in the past 30 mins, Id say she spit up over half of what I fed her and I know thats no where near normal. She seems happy during the day but at night she's miserable. I am waiting to hear back from the dr in case this is more than just the formula

Has anyone ever used this formula? Did you have the same thing happen or something different? Should I change back to Similac advance? Im at my wits end and I dont know what else to do. TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Enfamil Gentlease: anyone have problems? (TMI)

• Options
    We had similar issues.  After switching from Similac.  We switched to Enfamil Premium Lipil and Enfamil AR.  I do 3 scoops Enfamil Premium and 1 scoop Enfamil AR.  Doing more Enfamil AR seemed to constipate her.  If your littel one seems fine mix 1/2 and 1/2 and see.  Doing all Enfamil Premium made her spit-up non-stop.  It worked for us so it's worth a shot!
  • Options
    My little one was on it, the powder didnt work good on her. It made her really gassy (like she ate tons of eggs and couldnt pass it). But the color of poop changed to the green too. I think thats just formula poop. I thought it was suppose to be brown, but maybe its still greenish because Im partcially bf. or your little one still has some of the bm in its system. I have been trying diffrent ones. The already made stuff worked better for her, but its more expensive. I just tried similac powder and liquid and  both seem to works ok for her. My biggest problem with the enfamil is just the gas she got ( made her real fussy), and none of them really made a diffrence. With similac she still gets gas but she is able to pass it whole lot easier and it still smells, but I think thats just the protein in the formula. My husband drinks protein shakes and he and her both smell in same when they pass gas. So I figure theres not much I can do about the smell.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've tried it 3 times to test with DS or supplement BFing, and he definitely seems to be fussier and gassy every time we've tried it, both alone and with breastmilk. Not sure what we're going to try next, waiting until 2mos appt with pedi next week; but you're not alone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We also mix the Enfamil Premium Lipil with Enfamil AR. It works best for us if we use one scoop of each for each bottle. We can't use straight AR either because it also constipates my LO. We tried the Gentlease and she hated the taste of it she would not eat it at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Genlease did not work for us either. And her poop did change to a green seedy color. As far as spitting up, the Similac sensitive worked wonders for us. Maybe try Mylecon in her bottle for the gas.
  • Options
    Gentlease was the worst of all the formulas we've tried. I had a scare with that green poop too! GOSH! But the pediatrician said that's what Gentlease does! It didn't help DS' fussiness!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If you have a note from your Doctor WIC will provide checks for any formula the dr says. My last LO couldn't handle any of the normal formulas and we thought she had AR because she was so fussy and gassy even on the breast milk. Turned out that she had a milk protein allergy and Nutramigen worked great. I would ask the Doctor about that and maybe try the nutramigen, its expnsive but oh so worth it. Good Luck
  • Options
    My Abby has been on Gentlease since about 2 wks old and YES! The poop is very very GREEN! lol The nutritionist at my WIC office warned us of this, even saying it could be AQUA in color, so dont be worried about the green poops. And she does pass some stinky gas but at least its not getting trapped in her tummy like when she was on Premium. But it has definitely helped her reflux, not made it worse, so maybe Gentlease isn't the right formula for your LO. I would definitely talk to your pedi asap. And like PP stated, if you get a letter from your pedi, WIC will give you the formula that the doc "prescribes".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

we switched from regular Enfamil to Gentlease two weeks ago, and there were several days of spitting up and extra fussiness, but now they are sleeping SO well! last 4 nights over 7 hours!! (knocking on wood)

I was told that any formula takes 7-10 days of transition before you can evaluate if its an ongoing problem. If you are beyond that, then I would say talk to your pedi and move to a different one.

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD had super grey-green poo also on the Enfamil. She also spit up a TON on it. We went to Gerber Good Start Gentle Plus and her BM's are normal and she goes poo 2x a day (used to be hit or miss once a day), she spits up less and is overall just happier. Less has been filling her up more also. I'm so so glad I switched her.

Lilypie - (fjc0)

• Options

Thanks Ladies!

I got off the phone with pedi and he wants me to take her off the Gentlease completely. We have to change back to Similac. Im gonna call the WIC office on Monday and see if they'll take the prescription. The dr doesn't think its anything else (thank goodness) and then do a checkup when we go in for her 2 month in 2 weeks.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"