Two Under 2
Options

I am in dire need of a pep talk

I have 10.5 weeks to go until my c-section, but I'm already feeling anxious/overwhelmed. I need someone to tell me I'm going to survive.

My 2ualmost1 (DS will be a week shy of 13 months on the day of my scheduled c-section) were planned. Most of the pregnancy, I've felt really confident in my ability to handle it all. It helps that DS has been and is still an incredibly easy, independent baby. Even though he's already mobile, I still don't find his care all that challenging. Howver, in the past week I've hit a rut. I'm scared that I wont love this baby as much as DS. I'm definitely not as bonded with this pregnancy as much as I was with DS-I'm sure that's due to being busy with DS and trying to cherish the little time we have left as a family of 3. I'm scared I'm not going to be able to manage DS's needs while nursing a newborn. I'm scared I'm going to be unhappy and it's going to rub off on DS and DD. I just have doubts about everything.

Please tell me it's going to be ok, even if you have to lie to me. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I am in dire need of a pep talk

• Options

Just wait until you see DS give DD a kiss when you take DD home.  You'll melt.  You spend every second oohing and ahhing over the 1st pregnancy, and don't have time for the second.... it's natural.  When DD arrives, it will be amazing, you'll love her just as you did DS... it will only multiply when you see what a wonderful thing you did for DS by giving him a little sister, it's so cute to see them interact.  BTW, I was always given the advice of put the first born's needs above the newborn...the newborn won't notice :-)

BTW, I was super scared about the 2nd c-section, the recovery was actually MUCH faster and easier than the 1st planned c-section.

Congrats.

• Options

I remember having those exact feelings. Once you hold that baby they will disappear! You will be surprised at how much love you have to share with each of them :) 

My DS was not an easy going baby, and neither was DD and I survived it when I really wasn't sure if I would. There will be good days and bad days but you will be ok! I found that once we got into more of a routine, things were much easier. Even in the beginning, when you don't have one yet, your newborn will be sleeping a lot and it almost makes the transition easier.  

My best piece of advice for nursing a newborn with a toddler...nurse while sitting on the floor. If I was at his level while he was playing, he didn't really seem to notice I was nursing.

GL...you will be great :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's going to be GREAT! I understand your fear about not feeling as bonded during the pregnancy - I was soooo in love with DS from the moment I got my bfp.  I was always excited about DD, too, but it wasn't an overwhelming bond like it was the first time.  However.  The moment I held her, I was head over heels all over again.  And you will be, too!  And your DS is going to adore his sister.  I absolutely love the big brother/little sister relationship so far.  DS is really protective of and sweet to his sister.  If he hears her cry he takes off for her room, he'll give her kisses all the time, he tries to hold her hand in the car ... it's amazing.  And yeah, it's hard work.  But parenting is, no matter the spacing of your children.  Don't doubt yourself, you're going to be just fine!

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks girls. I know that it will be much more positive than negative-I need to keep telling myself that. Plus looking at your cute kids certainly helps. :)

• Options

DD1 and DD2 are one year and 18 days apart.  DD1 has always been very high maintenance, but very thankfully, she STTNs.  We've only been doing the 2almostu1 thing for 2.5 weeks, but so far it has been manageable (though challenging).  I had a post-partum hemorrhage and ended up being bedridden for five days.  My family lives nearby and they kept DD1 while I was recovering.  That was super-helpful.  Do you have plans for help while you recover from your c-section?  I think that will be key.

Now that we've got both babies at home with us, it's hard, yes, but there are lots of amazing little moments that really make it worth it.  DD1 had a hard time adjusting at first, but now she loves to give her sister kisses.  It's totally adorable to watch her love on the baby.  

My advice is to take it one hour at a time.  Don't think too much about how hard it's going to be, because you're just going to freak yourself out.  Most likely, it won't be as bad as you think it is.

And you will love your baby.  You may not bond immediately because you have to take care of this other little person, but it will come naturally.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options

You'll do great!  Honestly, sure there are hard days, but it's so rewarding!  I felt the same while pregnant, but I honestly could not be happier with our family :)  I am so in love with my babies, and you will be too!  Pregnancy was the hardest part for me personally.  Keep your head up, oh and cook some freezer meals and get some good crock pot recipes! 

Heres one of my fav and you can add italian sausage or ground beef too if you like!  I make 3 or 4 at a time, it's easy assembly and then freeze them!  I do a huge couple of cooking days every couple of months and freeze a ton of stuff.  That way we have good homecooked meals but I dont have to worry about distracting the kids while cooking. 

https://www.30daygourmet.com/eNewsletters/Archived_Newsletters/Articles_2006_10/Janice_SpinachLasgna.asp

Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageone_more_girl:

You'll do great!  Honestly, sure there are hard days, but it's so rewarding!  I felt the same while pregnant, but I honestly could not be happier with our family :)  I am so in love with my babies, and you will be too!  Pregnancy was the hardest part for me personally.  Keep your head up, oh and cook some freezer meals and get some good crock pot recipes! 

Heres one of my fav and you can add italian sausage or ground beef too if you like!  I make 3 or 4 at a time, it's easy assembly and then freeze them!  I do a huge couple of cooking days every couple of months and freeze a ton of stuff.  That way we have good homecooked meals but I dont have to worry about distracting the kids while cooking. 

https://www.30daygourmet.com/eNewsletters/Archived_Newsletters/Articles_2006_10/Janice_SpinachLasgna.asp

Wonderful idea! And thanks for the link! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"