Detroit Babies

Seat belts

I've been nervous lately and this morning just reinforced my nerves.  The lap part of my seat belt lays over the lower part of my uterus - this morning I felt the baby wiggling around right under the belt.  I'm afraid if I get into an accident the belt will tighten too much and hurt the baby. 

This is of course after hearing about a horrible story I shouldn't have read about a pregnant woman having to be cut out of her car with the jaws of life and ended up losing her 8 month old baby because her pelvic bone shattered.  

I've see those seat belt adjusters and am seriously thinking of buying one until after I have the baby.  It just worries me with driving on 75 to and from work and the crazy people on there...or am I just over worrying over this?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Seat belts

• I never worried about the seat belt, but if it makes you nervous I would get the adjuster.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • I never worried or even thought about it w/both pregnancies.

And definately stay away from sad pregnancy/baby stories, they will drive you crazy & you don't need that.  I had to stop watching the birth shows on tv. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The seatbelt hasn't bothered me thus far, but if you feel safer with an adjuster, than by all means buy it. As with many things, its all about what makes sense to you!
  • This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but where are you putting your seatbelt? 

If your seatbelt is in the proper position for pregnancy, you probably won't need an adjuster. You should place your seatbelt underneath your belly so it lies across your hips. I had to be trauma nurse certified, and this is where they recommend you wear it for safety of you and your baby.

If you already have it there and are still uncomfortable, then I don't think there would be anything wrong with getting it. 

• It's under my belly and I believe it lies across my hips - I'll have to double check when I get into the car today.  I just felt the baby wiggling under the lap belt and it freaked me out a bit to wonder what would happen if it tightened suddenly, would it hurt the baby? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"