School-Aged Children

any tips on making reading fun?

5yo DS can't sit still for a minute (possible ADHD issues which I will address in a future post) He zones out as I try to read with him. He guesses the sentence to get it over. I can tell the interest is not there. I feel like I'm pushing him and he's just not getting it. His teacher isn't concerned "yet". We meet on Friday.

He can construct a "solar powered helicopter launching station" out of legos and make a pulley system using rope, the stair bannister and a laundry basket but, when I point to "the" he says "and".

It's not that he has little interest in reading. He has NO interest in reading.

Is this normal? Any tips?

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
Big - 1 year old
Bigger - 6 years old
Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: any tips on making reading fun?

• It's very normal!  He sounds like a really bright boy with lots of energy.  Try adding some movement to his reading activities.  For example, write sight words on paper plates and tape them to the floor for him to jump onto and read.  Or write simple sentences that tell him to do something like "I can jump." or "I can spin."  You could even take pictures of him doing each and then make a book about him- that might hold his interest.  

I used to teach reading to K-1 kids so I have a bunch of ideas- if you need more, please let me know! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Echo read with him. You read a line he repeats it. Choral read with him, you read the text at the sane time. Take him to the library and have him pick out books on subjects he is interested in and read them together.
  • Loading the player...
  • have him pick the books...that may help...good luck
  • When my kids were that age, they loved going to the library to pick out their own books.  It was what we did each week.  I tried to teach reading to my son, but he was not ready at that age.  So, I backed off and just continued to read books (that he picked out) before bedtime.  He is nine now, and reads great!  And he still likes "our special time" reading to him before bed! Smile  If you have a smart phone there are a ton of great 'book apps' out there for when you are on the go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"