Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Baby gear expiring?

Anyone know generally how many years a car seat, swing, high chair and things of the like are good for before they reach expiration date? If you were the only owner would you use beyond expiration? Why do you think these items have an exp on them?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Baby gear expiring?

• Options

I believe a car seat is good for 6 years so long as it's not been in an accident. Most have the expiration date printed on them. I have used my infant carrier for 2 kids and it's 4 years old right now and I plan to use it for baby #3. It is still w/in the 6 yr period, but honestly, no more than it's been used, I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it were past the 6 year mark (unless there is a law that saws you can't...not sure if it's illegal). Now, the boys convertible car seats are a different story. They have been using them for much longer and I can see that the foam pads are showing their age even though they are only 4 years old as well.

If swings and high chairs expire, that's news to me. 

• Options

I don't think it matters as much with the other baby gear but car seats usually expire 5-6 years after being manufactured.  Car seats can become less safe over time.  The plastic shell can degrade and warp due to changing conditions, the harness may have wear and the styrofoam can degrade. 

Also, regulations and safety features change over time so older products become obsolete or less effective.  Older products may not have up to date warnings (ex. air bags) or have new features like tethers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Car seats expire 5-7 years (depending on the brand/seat).

Highchairs, bouncy seats etc.  do not, but be sure to check recall lists. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"