VBAC

why should I attempt a VBAC?

I'm not pregnant, but plan to be in the future sometime. I had a c-section after discussing the possible complications that may arise since DS was a big baby and I have a small frame. I feel like people think I took the "easy" way out (even though recovering from a c-section is by no means easy). I have done some research on VBAC, but still am on the fence as to why I would want to risk my baby getting stuck. Some research says to make sure you have staff on hand that is readily available to act fast. Why risk needing an emergency? I definitely contemplate a VBAC, but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks to the baby. Any suggestions or links to research that isn't swayed one way or the other?

Re: why should I attempt a VBAC?

• What do you mean by risk your baby getting stuck?  Are you talking about failure to descend, shoulder dystocia, what?

There are risks to childbirth, period.  The risk of VBAC is that there is a chance of uterine rupture that is less than 1%.  This is about on par with the risk of any laboring woman having a cord prolapse, although you don't see hospitals running around banning all labors because of the risk of cord prolapse. Furthermore, the majority of ruptures are asymptomatic and fetal death rates from rupture are not very high but they do happen.  Besides that, a VBAC is just like any other labor or vaginal delivery.

You have to balance this with remembering that a c-section carries risks too.  A baby born by elective cesarean is more likely to have respiratory problems and need NICU admission.  A c-section is riskier for the mom than a VBAC is.  Mothers are 2-3x as likely to die from childbirth if they've had a c-section, and you are also more at risk for infection, bowel or bladder injuries, hysterectomy, and losing a lot of blood. In addition, the more sections you have, the more complicated each one becomes and the more risk you have in future pregnancies for complications like placenta accreta, a potentially fatal problem with the placenta.

So I can't tell you why you should or should not attempt a VBAC.  But keep in mind it's not that repeat c-section is safer than VBAC.  Each option carries risks, but the risks are different.  You need to decide which risks you are more comfortable with.  You might also want to to consider whether you plan to have more children after this one.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not sure what you mean about the baby getting stuck, either.  Lots of small-framed women are able to birth big babies just fine.  In fact, I'd say most of them would be able to if they had a supportive birth team and were allowed freedom of movement so they could change positions.  Here's an article on pelvises that I love:

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp

I also can't tell you why you should/should not go for a VBAC for your next birth, but I'll tell you why I came to that decision. 

1) I would prefer not to be cut open in order to have a baby.  It's major surgery and will forever compromise my reproductive health (moreso than it's already been compromised).  Why be cut open if I can just push the baby out?

2) My MIL had three C-sections and then 30 years later had a hysterectomy.  She'd had so many abdominal surgeries that there were major complications with the hysterectomy.  She now has an umbilical hernia that she will either have surgery to have removed or will just live with for the rest of her life.  She's 54 years old.  And according to her doctors, this could have been avoided if she hadn't had so many abdominal surgeries.  And she's not the only one that this sort of thing happens to.  Repeat c/s carry lots of long-term risks that I'd rather avoid.

3)  I just want to give my body a chance to do what it's made to do.  If it's back to the OR, then so be it.  But at least I gave it my best shot and didn't just agree to a repeat c/s because the doctor told me so.

4) I want to have a shorter recovery.  I have a toddler to chase and I don't want a painful incision to deal with. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"