VBAC
Options

Only 3 babies after C-section?

I recently had a c-section and will be ttc in about another year and hopefully trying for a vbac.   I was told by several people that after a c-section you can only have two more kids, or three total.  Is there any truth to that?

Re: Only 3 babies after C-section?

• Options

I think the Duggars would disagree :) Her 2nd, 15th and this last birth #18, were CS.

I think it depends more on any complications you had than a set number.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    imageTripMomma:

I think the Duggars would disagree :) Her 2nd, 15th and this last birth #18, were CS.

I think it depends more on any complications you had than a set number.

haha good point!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think what people mean is that you should only have a certain number of c-sections, not a certain number of babies.  So if you have a primary c-section and then a bunch of VBACs, it's not the same as if you have a bunch more children by cesarean.

The issue is that once you have multiple cesareans, each surgery becomes more complicated, leading to higher chances of something going wrong.  And the more cesareans you have, the higher risk you are in future pregnancies for issues like placenta accreta, a potentially deadly complication when the placenta implants too deep in the uterus.  Placenta accreta cases--and deaths--have sky-rocketed in the last few decades because of our rising c/s rate and low VBAC rate.

I mean logically, the more times you cut up and sew an organ back together, the more problems can arise.  But I don't think there is one set-in-stone number about how many c-sections you can have. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I believe that means c-sections in a row, not number of babies. 

My mom was an L&D nurse and was present for a SEVENTH c-section. She obviously had a window in her uterus, they could see the hair right through it. Afterward there was nothing left to sew together, they had to give her a hysterectomy. Most docs are incredibly nervous past the 4th one.  

• Options
    imagePattypoundcake:

I believe that means c-sections in a row, not number of babies. 

My mom was an L&D nurse and was present for a SEVENTH c-section. She obviously had a window in her uterus, they could see the hair right through it. Afterward there was nothing left to sew together, they had to give her a hysterectomy. Most docs are incredibly nervous past the 4th one.  

got it.  thanks.  ill obviously be asking my ob about it but that's what i was thinking because i really would like a large family (or at least the opportunity to have one if it is feasible for me financially).  

• Options
    I have heard this as well.. I think it gets more complicated with each c section ( scar tissue) but I dont think there is a limit to how mnay you can have.
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"