Potty Training

Poop sucks

Ok so DS is potty trained.  He doesn't have accidents.  We did the 3 day PT two weeks ago and he has done great, except that he won't poop on the potty.  Since he doesn't have accidents, that means he's not pooping.  We've got him on Pedialax chewables, fiber gummies, pedialax stool softener but they aren't working.  So in desperation we've had to give him suppositories after 3-4 days so he doesn't get sick. 

Between suppositories, he's running to the bathroom every 5 minutes to go poop but he holds it in and won't let it come out.  It is a huge drama and has basically meant we are home bound until we get it fixed. 

He's gone every now and then in between but usually it's the type of thing where the poop takes control and forces it's way out.  

And when he's on the potty, by his request, he's a cage fighting master literally beating the snot out of us to the point where I have to sit at a safe distance.  As soon as he asks to get down, we let him get down but then he wants to get right back on again because the poop is right there trying to come out. We are a no hitting household and belive in choices and limits but when he's in pain and scared and trying not to make the potty a punishment what do you do?  

It is excruciating for everyone involved.  Any suggestions or is there something we should do differently

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Poop sucks

• My DD took 2 full months after being otherwise PTd to finally poop on the toilet. Before that she's poop on the floor in front of the toilet so probably a better situation than what you have right now but the point is it took her awhile. I literally treated the poop like the manual says to treat the pee......"Poop on the floor is yucky" while cleaning it. And I added my own "ooh look at the poops in the potty! say buh-bye to the poops, Alaina" and of course DH and I would talk way too much about doing our own business when the times came lol.

But yeah 2 mos of that crap (heehee). Then one day she took her little "Once Upon A Potty" book that we'd rented the day before at the library to the toilet with her and there was this part that says the girl in the story had to sit forEVER and finally she pooped. First, I had never thought to explain that to her, that she might have to sit for a long while, unlike when she has to pee.And, second, she got a kick out of seeing the illustration of poop in the potty in the book. So that's what did it for our girl I think.....2mos of pooping on the floor once a day and a cute little book that explained she has a hole in her bum for "making poo poo" and that she'd have to be patient for it to work. 

In those 2mos I started deciding not to let the poop on the floor bother me (just like you kinda can't let the pee bother you in those formative beginning days). I looked at it like 1)okay, at least it's on the floor so no nasty undies to clean, just had to Clorox wipe it and then spray Lysol over the spot on the tile so it was super quick, 2)at least she's finding a way to poop at home and not out and about, and 3)if she ever did have to poop while out I figured it wouldn't be a whole lot different than if she'd pooped in a diaper. I mean, as long as she didn't have diarrhea it would stay contained in the undies just like a diaper, no?

I always suggested she poop on the potty when I saw her gear up to go on the floor and then I would tell her I was going to give her privacy and I'd close the door (left it open a crack) and walk away. The walking away helped me deal with any frustration, too, tbh, and kept the pressure off of her. Funny because now she asks expressly for privacy when pooping and asks me to close the door LOL. When I'd go back in the bathroom when she'd call for me to help clean her up, I'd see the poop on the floor and show a mildly disappointed face and say pooping on the floor is yucky and all that other stuff I said above.

hth

• This may not be what you want to hear and others may not agree, but I use a pull up when they need to poop and refuse to do it on the potty. I have one that will hold it in for several days and she has always been a 1x or 2x a day pooper before potty training. She becomes so uncomfortable because she is so backed up that she just cries and whines because she needs to go, but will not go on the big potty or the little potty. Once I put her in a pull up she will relax enough and go. She feels much better and so do I. So after a couple of times of this I decided to just put her in a pull up when she says she has to poo each day. She knows it is only for poop and will even say, "no pee, poop." And as soon as she poops in the pull up, we take it off and dump in the potty and I make a big deal about poop in the potty. She gets wiped up and goes right back to panties. She is 100% pee trained and in panties throughout the day. This is the only time she needs a pull up.

I am hoping her fear about pooping on the potty goes away over time. Her twin does not have this fear, she will poop on the potty. Her problem is she cannot be bothered to stop what she is doing to go and poop on the potty. She is also 100% pee trained and in panties, and always stops playing to go pee, but for some reason most days poops in her panties. Now today she decided to poop on the potty and I made a really big deal about it and gave her a different treat (they normally get m&m's). Instead I gave her a half midget tootsie roll. She loved it and her twin was very interested in trying to get one of those for herself, so I told her "Sissy gets this treat because she pooped on the potty." She then said poop on the potty and shook her head up and down. So maybe this new treat for her sister will help the other twin feel more comfortable about pooping on the potty.

I am not going to stress about needing the pull up right now for pooping. I would rather my child be relaxed and poop everyday in a pull up, then holding it in and needing to go to the ER because she is impacted from holding it in. But that is just my opinion. My girls are also on the young side for potty training, being that they are 27 months. Most girls I know don't even start pee training until 30-36 months. Now if this is still going on at 3 years old, we will have to try a new approach with her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I wish I had advice for you, just wanted to say that we are struggling with the poop in the potty, too.  DS just finally pooped in his underwear this morning right after peeing on the potty, and after holding it in for almost 3 days. :-/  I don't really know what to do, because he has been staying dry otherwise and I don't want to make him wear diapers.  I know it's normal, but don't know what to do about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"