Postpartum Depression
Options

I'm starting to think I have PPD =/

I was depressed before I got pregnant and when I got pregnant my dr put me on Zolof...it seemed to really help. Well now my LO is 6 weeks old my mom has offered to keep him over night for me and I've let her twice....I don't mind it a bit and look forward to not having to get up and getting to sleep in. In the beginning I was ok and I think mostly very excited now the excitment of a new baby has seem to wear off and the reality of a new baby has sunk in along with being exhausted. This is my 2nd LO and my first one was sick at birth and well I had a lot going on personally and think I handled it well.

I want to take care of my LO and be what I need to be for him...and everyone is telling me I'm doing great, and I'm trying to keep my troubles to myself, but I'm having a hard time. DH doesn't get that when he's here he needs to help and when he says he's going to get up with him at night it doesn't count when he wakes me up everytime LO does to help him. He doesn't seem to get how to take care of him when to me it seems so obvious! I feel ok when no one else is home....but when MIL gets home and DH it's like they get under my skin and I get so upset and frustrated. We moved in to MIL before LO was born to save money to get a house but I didn't really want too....and I do get along with MIL pretty well I just don't know how to address the things she does in regards to LO that I don't like or when I feel she's being overbearing.

All I seem to want to do is sleep....and LO sleeps well he only gets up once and sometimes will sleep til 10 am....I mean I'm lucky to have such a good baby and my moms been keeping him one night a week but I'm exhausted and overwhelmed and frustrated with being responsible for cooking and cleaning for everyone on top of caring for my LO's and DH....and I'm always ready to sleep....idk what's wrong with me. Any suggestions? Is it PPD or am I just overwhelmed?

Re: I'm starting to think I have PPD =/

• Options

First off, hugs to you!  I honestly wasn't thinking straight at 6 weeks pp because I was so sleep deprived and dealing with everything else as well. If you've been on meds before and aren't now, you may definitely be feeling out of sorts.  It is a LOT to do at first, I know...and while DHs can help with some, they just don't get it for a while, you know?  They don't handle the sleep deprivation as well as we seem to have to. 

I say let your mom help out with nights and sleep...then see how you feel.  Have you had your checkup with your doc yet?  If not, it wouldn't hurt to mention how you're feeling.

• Options
    imageIheartkevi:

First off, hugs to you!  I honestly wasn't thinking straight at 6 weeks pp because I was so sleep deprived and dealing with everything else as well. If you've been on meds before and aren't now, you may definitely be feeling out of sorts.  It is a LOT to do at first, I know...and while DHs can help with some, they just don't get it for a while, you know?  They don't handle the sleep deprivation as well as we seem to have to. 

I say let your mom help out with nights and sleep...then see how you feel.  Have you had your checkup with your doc yet?  If not, it wouldn't hurt to mention how you're feeling.

I'm still on my meds but I still feel like crap....I feel like I cry over everything! And I've only had like 3 melt downs because of the baby getting me overwhelmed when he's up wide awake in the middle of the night fussing and crying! I mean I don't feel frustrated at all with him. And I feel awful that I need and want my moms help so much when people have been doing this for years and many don't need help....and my mom never needed help and I do. And I know DH just doesn't get it and it irritates me to have him ask me constantly what's wrong with the baby when he has him when I've told him over and over again what to do and he still can't get it! I have had my check up with my dr...but I don't know if I should go back in and talk to my dr....but I also don't know how much of it is the stress of DH and living with MIL and adjusting to life here on top of baby..... Tongue Tied I feel so confused.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Those are ALL valid reasons to go back and talk to your dr. again though.  I never felt like my baby was a cause of my depression and anxiety...but it's totally a result of having him.  Weird, I know.  Maybe you need a higher dosage?  I'm on a higher dose now and the past 3 months have been much easier to live through.  No more crazy crying and stressing over little things.

((hugs))

• Options

I'm on zoloft. I was in it before baby because I have anxiety issues and panic attacks. After LO got here EVERY night aroung 5:30 I would start getting nervous, overwhelmed, and scared. It didnt help that LO would get fussy around this time as well. I went to my doctor and we increased my dose and I came to the conclusion that by that time of day i was sooooo sleepy and in the back of my mind i knew "here we go again, another night without much sleep". Increasing my zoloft and having my DH take over around that time has helped A LOT! Once LO was 7 weeks I didn't have "feeling" at night anymore. I think the extra help and the increase in meds really helped me to overcome.

hope this helped

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"