Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Chunks in formula, What am I doing wrong ?

What am I doing wrong ? I use Enfamil Gentlease and whenever I mix up a bottle and shake it, I can still see a bunch of chunks in it. I then shake it profusely more for about a minute straight, still chunks. So I have to take the lid off and stick my fingers in to break up the chunks. Rrrrrr.This happens almost everytime ! I'm using room temperature bottled water.

Any tips ? 

I put in the water 1st, then powder. I've even tried it in reverse, no difference :(

Re: Chunks in formula, What am I doing wrong ?

• Options

are you making a container of it and then making bottles that way?

We do 32 ounces stir it first with a wooden spoon then shake it for a while.  If after we pour it there is still some chunks i pour it back in the container a little bit at a time then shake it that way and re-pour.

• Options
    I'm making single bottles. I"ve always thought of making it in a pitcher and then pouring it in the bottles. That seems easier and easier to get at the chunks. Is that what you do ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagerchj602:
    I'm making single bottles. I"ve always thought of making it in a pitcher and then pouring it in the bottles. That seems easier and easier to get at the chunks. Is that what you do ?

yep.  this way we make a bunch at once and we arent scrambling around to make a bottle last minute

• Options
    I make it a pitcher at a time as well and use a whisk to stir it.  Never have chunks that way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • Options
    I get chunks in ours too with the Gentlease.  Definitely going to try the whisk idea.  Thx!
    BabyModel$$ Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The brands munchkin and prince lionheart make battery powered mixers. Just put it in the bottle and push the button. Whisks it up in seconds. I never have any lumps. I've seen the munchkin one on amazon, but bought them at babies r us and buy buy baby.
    Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Options
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V96W0W/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1287862549&sr=8-3 There you go. Sorry it's not a clicky, bumping from iPhone.
    Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Options

imagerchj602:

I would get the Dr.Browns formula pitcher.

That way you can make a ton at once so you arent in a rush trying to make it. It also eliminates the majority of the air. And it mixes the formula really well! When I just shake I also get chunks, but I started using the pitcher and it saves me time and also gets rid of chunks. And LO is much less gassy!

• Options
    Ditto the Dr. Brown's Formula Pitcher.  Works great.
    "The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I'll look into the Dr Browns pitcher ! Being a first time mom, you worry about every little thing. Oy !
  • Options
    I had this problem too, but we don't use alot of formula so we just added a little bit more water and it helped
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"