Military Families
Options

Anyone have any suggestions...

...for a little welcome home thing we can do for my husband and 6 others who will be returning from deployment early next year?

I'm assisting the FRO for my husband's USMC reserve unit in thinking up something to do for the guys when they return.  Since it was only 7 of them who were selected to detach to another unit, we can't really justify booking the same place we did when his unit returned from Iraq last year (DH and the 6 others didn't go on that deployment).  We were just going to do something at the local reserve center in the gym, but I'm not sure what exactly we can do without it looking "cheap" persay. 

The families will all be there, so I'm sure they will be bringing signs, balloons, etc.  Do you think something like a dessert "reception" type thing would be okay (cookies, cupcakes, soda, coffee with welcome home signs and balloons)?  Obviously this far out, we don't know the specifics - date/time of day - but we'd like to try and get a head start on this since the holidays are coming up and I"m due in January and will be busy with baby after that until DH gets back from his deployment.

Thanks so much in advance :)

Re: Anyone have any suggestions...

• Options
    have you looked into a restaurant?  some have private rooms and a lot (around here at least) will bend over backwards to help military families!
  • Options

What about a BBQ?  You could have each family bring a side dish. 

We are planning an oyster roast for my H and his section a few weeks after they get back.  We'll have bbq for those who don't eat oysters.  A local restaurant has volunteered to send a bunch of chicken wings and a distributer has offered a cooler full of beer.  All this for 18 guys.  Never hurts to call and ask.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good suggestions! Thanks ladies :)
  • Options

I just wanted to post and say hi.  Lol how are you feeling? 

I love the bbq idea.  You can probably get someone to donate burgers and hot dogs.  Other wives probably won't mind bringing a side dish and for wives who aren't necessarily talented in the kitchen, they can bring buns, drinks or paper products(plates, cups, paper towels).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"