Military Families
Options

? about referral

I got a referral to see an OB off post but I'm disappointed with him and want to switch to a different doctor. Will they let me do this or am I stuck with this schmuck?

Re: ? about referral

• Options

You should be able to change.  Look on your referral letter.  It should say something along the lines of "this authorization covers services when performed by any provider".  I changed before and just had to make sure the new doctor was a network provider and that the appointment was covered within the dates of the referral letter.  I did call Tricare, though, to tell them just to be safe. 

Tricare may not pay for your new provider to perform tests that your previous provider already did.  Since most OB's like to get their own baseline bloodwork, U/S's etc., I would definitely call Tricare and find out how to proceed. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had this problem and I just found out Tricare approved my referral for my new OB. From what my OB said with the approval they get it says what they give approval for. So my doctor knows they can give me X number of ultrasounds, X number of bloodwork/labs. Although, more can be approved the OB just has to submit it to Tricare.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebootsie08:

You should be able to change.  Look on your referral letter.  It should say something along the lines of "this authorization covers services when performed by any provider".  I changed before and just had to make sure the new doctor was a network provider and that the appointment was covered within the dates of the referral letter.  I did call Tricare, though, to tell them just to be safe. 

Tricare may not pay for your new provider to perform tests that your previous provider already did.  Since most OB's like to get their own baseline bloodwork, U/S's etc., I would definitely call Tricare and find out how to proceed. 

I didn't get a referral letter the OB case manager on post all she did was give me a referral number and let me pick what doctor. Should I just call the new doctor I want then and give them the referral number?

• Options
    imageb_cole6:
    imagebootsie08:

I didn't get a referral letter the OB case manager on post all she did was give me a referral number and let me pick what doctor. Should I just call the new doctor I want then and give them the referral number?

If you're unsure about how the referral works I'd call the base clinic and speak to someone in the referral department. That way you make sure you're doing exactly what you're supposed to in this situation. I've never had to switch doctors so I can't say for certain that it'd work if you gave them the same referral number as the last doctor.
    New little one arriving in June 2015!
    No fertility care this time, and post cancer treatment! Hooray!
    Total Thyroidectomy for Papillary Thyroid Cancer in 2013
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2004. 
    Kaylin Rose conceived in 2010 by IUI, DOB January 01, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"