Potty Training

3 day potty training-did any one bend the rules a bit?

Hi ladies,

We did the 3 day method last week, and I can honestly say that it was totally worth it.  However, I did bend the rules a bit.  I let him read books on the potty, because whenever he had to go really bad, he would refuse to sit on the potty and start going in his underwear, and I would basically give him a little push to finish in the potty, and he would get hysterical and want to get up.  I let him read the books to make sitting on the potty a more enjoyable experience.  Since I've been doing that, he sits on the potty with no problem.  My only issue is I'm not sure if it's "clicked" or not.  He tells me when he has to go sometimes but not always.  Also, he wets his bed everynight with last night being the first night that he remained dry.  I cut his liquids off at 5:30 or 6 last night, so that might be why.  If you bent the rules to the 3 day method, what did you do, and did it still work in 3 days or work at all?

Re: 3 day potty training-did any one bend the rules a bit?

• I'm only on Day 1, so I can't tell you yet if its working but:

1.  I let him sit on the potty even if he's not peeing

2.  I keep the potty right next to us instead of in the bathroom, its the only way I can get him to the potty fast enough that he finishes on the potty.

3.  I took the underpants off about halfway through the day because I was having trouble being able to tell when he was peeing with them on.

I'm happy to know others are "cheating" too :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• imagefignewt74:

2.  I keep the potty right next to us instead of in the bathroom, its the only way I can get him to the potty fast enough that he finishes on the potty.

Ditto above. We also ditched the panties occasionally because we couldn't get them down in time at first and she was peeing through them sitting on the potty!

We didn't throw the diapers away because my DD isn't ready for over night training.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am almost 48hrs into it and having my doubts..... I have let DD read on the potty because otherwise she just wants to get up again.  I know she has to go because she'll grab her crotch after tinkling a few drops but not want to sit on the potty to finish.  I have also been putting her in diapers at naptime and bedtime because she takes a sippy cup of water to bed with her and isn't ready to PT at night.  One problem I am having is with her potty that sings when she goes in it.  She gets so excited she jumps up and then she doesn't always completely empty herself out and has an accident later on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used the 3-day method back in January, but 1) we let DD read books on the potty; and 2) we kept the diapers for overnight until she started waking up dry, which didn't happen until July, or six months later.

Since we didn't follow all the rules, I wasn't expecting it to really last only three days. It ended up taking DD a week to master peeing on the potty and two weeks to master poop -- meaning, she told me when she needed to go and made it to the potty without any accidents.

If, before you started this, he had been showing signs of readiness, then I say keep doing what you're doing -- reminding him to tell you when he needs to go, looking for cues, rushing him to the potty when he starts to go, etc. -- and just give it time. However, if he didn't quite seem ready, it might be better to back off and try again in a few months.

Good luck!

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"