Texas Babies
Options

Methodist hospital in the Med Center

Has anyone delivered here?
What was your experience like?

Are all the rooms private, or do you have to upgrade to private?

TIA!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Methodist hospital in the Med Center

• Options

All the rooms are private, but you can upgrade to a suite (they are called 10 south).  They will show you both on the tour. 

There is a thread down the page a bit where someone elsed asked about birth experiences there if you want to check that out too: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/41201149.aspx

I delivered Sarah there if you want to look at my birth story (Link in siggy).  HTH! =)

• Options
    Thanks, I looked but I guess I missed it.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My experience at this hospital was so horrible, that now that I'm pregnant with my second baby I changed doctors just so I could deliver someplace else.  I was in labor for 21 hours then had an emergency c-section and up until my baby was born the staff was wonderful.  After the surgery most of the nurses were rude and one even barged into my room @ 3 am every night and almost knocked over my baby's bassinet!  She yelled at my husband over EVERYTHING!  The initial labor room was very nice, but after the baby was born we were moved to a smaller room and the next day we were moved to an even smaller room. I was given sleeping medication and woken up over and over for the stupidest things.  The lactation consultant showed up 2 days later, as I was checking out actually. My staples were taken out after less than a day, my pain was no where near managed when I was discharged and that's even after my husband talked the hospital into letting me stay another day.  It seems they counted the 21 hrs I was in labor against my 3 days.  As it was I was sent home with a massive infection in my incision and a fever of 103 and ended up in the emergency room several times over the next few weeks.  I was absolutely miserable and the care I got at this hospital ruined my birth experience.  The nurses that took care of my son were great and very helpful.  Even though I really liked my old ob-gyn, she only delivers at this hospital and I just couldn't go through this again there!  If you do deliver there, I hope your experience is better than mine!

• Options
    imageNikkiMarkle:

My experience at this hospital was so horrible, that now that I'm pregnant with my second baby I changed doctors just so I could deliver someplace else.

Whoa!  I am sorry you had such a bad experience!  I have known a few folks who had c-sections there, and although they didn't love it, they didn't have the horrible experience you did (I hope you complained!)

Having said that, we upgraded to the 10 south suites and had the exact opposite experience - I absolutely LOVED it!  They went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed, the Lactation Consultant visited all 3 of the days I was there, and since Sarah had severe jaundice (Coomb's positive), they brought all the equipment (bili bed, etc) to our room so that she NEVER had to stay in the nursery. Even with the jaundice, Sarah was only in the nursery the 30 minutes to do her assessment while they were moving me to the postpartum room.  The pediatrician, etc. all came to our room to do the checks.

It is pricey, but worth it if you can afford the upgrade!

• Options
    I also delivered there, C section and had an awesome experiece. I also delivered on a holiday so the floor was slow, only 5 ladies there and 1 other was laboring besides me.  My OB also only delivers there.  We did not upgrade to the rooms up on the 10th floor, but I was given the biggest room on their mother/baby floor, it was huge.  I would deliver there again and I will, my OB is not allowed to retire until after my 2nd child!  My only compliant was the nursery nurse did not allow my daughter to transition and immediatly called NICU.  I was upset, but she was back with us within 3 hours.
  • Options

I haven't delivered there yet, but will be hopefully this month. We did our childbirth classes through the hospital and have done the tour also. The rooms are all private, and most of them have been recently renovated. The labor/delivery room we saw was really tiny, and on the inside of the building, so there were no windows... so I was already getting claustrophobic. As we walked through the hall I caught a glimpse of the rooms with windows, and they looked a little bigger. I really don't know how they expect people to labor comfortably in those tiny rooms, especially since you can't walk around in the hallways. The recovery room was surprisingly (don't even know how it's possible) smaller than the labor/delivery room with a tiny chair for your S/O or whoever to sleep. I've been told to ask for one of the handicap rooms, because they're bigger. The 10 South Suites are nice, but what they don't tell you on the website is 1.) they are first come, first serve, so they can't be reserved, and 2.) they are available to all hospital patients, not just the maternity ward, so there's no guarantee you'll be able to get one. Also they cost approx $375 a day on top of insurance, or $1500 w/out insurance.

So far, I've liked the staff we've had teaching our classes, and the rooms are at least renovated, and don't seem so old, but depending on how this birth experience goes, I'm really looking forward to using a birthing center where I can walk around and labor naturally and use a tub instead of being couped up in a tiny room and have to limit the number of people to 1or 2 because of something as stupid as a small space. 

• Options

imageaimeemb06:
    I really don't know how they expect people to labor comfortably in those tiny rooms, especially since you can't walk around in the hallways. The recovery room was surprisingly (don't even know how it's possible) smaller than the labor/delivery room with a tiny chair for your S/O or whoever to sleep.

Weird.  With Sarah I was able to walk around the halls.  You may want to check, but I think the separate recovery room is just if you have a c/s.  Otherwise, you stay in the room you delivered in until you go to your post-partum room (unless that is what you meant).

But seriously...  Having been through THREE non-medicated births at THREE different hospitals - if you go that route you really aren't going to care what the room looks like.  I mean, you are going to be kinda busy. =P  And I don't know about you, but the amount of bodily fluids getting on the floor as you move around would discourage me from wanting more than one or two people there with me! I couldn't tell you much about what any of the rooms LOOKED like, but I DO remember the staff.

• Options
    I had both of my kids there and am planning to have this one there as well. My experiences were both great, the nurses really took care of us and I love my OB who only delivers there. The rooms were private and nice and I don't think size was really an issue.
  • Options

I had my c-section there and my experience was great.  Yes, nurses were coming in during the night to check my blood pressure, etc. but I was also having issues with BP after delivery.  My OB put a sign on my door for the last night we were there once things stabilized a bit and nobody bothered me so I could sleep.  

I had a rough time after the first night, and the nurse was so compassionate and understanding when she walked in and just saw me bawling all over my breakfast.  I couldn't have asked for more.  

We were in recovery for a while after my c-section before going to our room...but I was perfectly ok with it once I found out they were waiting for a very large room to be ready (especially since we needed to fit 2 basinets in there).   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"