High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Subchorionic hematoma in 2nd trimester......bed rest

At 14 weeks, I began bleeding - spotting really. At 15 weeks, I hemorrhaged BAD. Went to the ER only to be told that I am threatened with a miscarriage, and take 3 days bed rest. Four days later - still spotting a moderate amount, I wake up from a good night's sleep to feel my underwear wet. I rush downstairs to the bathroom - find a mixture of blood and a clear fluid in my underwear. I began to urinate, felt a bubble around my pelvic area and all of the sudden - PLOP!  My first thought - I just passed my baby into the toilet. I changed my underwear, grabbed my keys (all while leaving my 5 dogs upstairs in the bedroom thinking their mommy was coming back to sleep and what i thought was my baby in the toilet), and floored it to the ER for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. Hysterical, my husband and I wait for the Dr to come in. He proceeds to conduct a pelvic exam, tell me my cervix is dialated and that I most likely had a miscarriage and passed the baby into the toilet. He said "we'll be sure when we do a sonogram". A half hour later, I have  a sonogram. The sonographer looks at my husband and I crying and crying and says "well there's a baby moving like crazy and a heartbeat of 158". My broken heart dropped to the floor. I couldn't believe it. Overjoyed and still in shock, I made her turn the screen towards me so I could see with my own eyes. After my husband and I had calmed down and they are wheeling me back to my room in the ER, I see the consulting Dr in the hall. I hold up a picture of the baby and say "there's a baby still in there with a strong heartbeat". He replies "REALLY?" with a shocked tone. I couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!! He had previously told me husband and I that we had a miscarriage without knowing for sure and 100%. Now we find out our baby is doing fine. This is all going on while my mother went back to my house to fish out the "sac" out of the toilet. Luckily we got a hold of her before she went into the house to tell her the baby was fine so she was not thinking she was retrieving her grandbaby out of the toilet. She brings the "sac" back to the ER  and shows it to the incompetent Dr. He opens the tupperware container (yes that's all she could grab at the moment) and says without truly analyzing it "yeah that's a blood clot". I couldn't speak the words....... I finally swallowed the lump in my throat and said "that's a pretty big freakin clot don't ya think". he replied simply "yes". i could not believe this guy's bed side manner, or lack there of. I was then discharged and told to "throw the clot out". something just did not set well with me. I didn't know this Dr from Adam and did not trust him to begin with. I took the nurse aside (who was AMAZING) and asked her opinion on what i should do with the "clot". she advised me for my own personal peace of mind that i should take it, call my OB/GYN and ask them to take a second look - since they were the ones i trusted. I called when I got back home from the ER and was instructed to take the "clot" BACK to the hospital and have it sent to pathology. I did. The next thing I know I am being admitted for the second time in one day, the midwife examines the "clot", fills out the paperwork to have pathology examine it, vital signs being taken, and then i'm whisked away to a more in depth sonogram in the same department and by the same Dr who completed my Nuchal Translucency test. He was fantastic. He completed a abdominal sonogram and a transvaginal sonogram. Within 10 minutes, he found a Subchorionic Hematoma/Hemorrhage which was causing the bleeding for the last week and a half. He stated that he, personally, felt that passing the clot was actually a good thing. The blood had been pooling on top of my cervix, hence the size of the clot. Now with that mass NOT in my body, the blood from the hematoma could drain properly now. He stated he's seen this in a lot of pregnant women and that the bleed usually resolves itself. He did also state that I am still at a high risk for miscarriage. It's now a waiting game, as he put it.

I was put on bed rest from Friday - Tuesday. I did NOTHING but go to the bathroom and occasionally let my dogs outside just to get up. The bleeding persisted on Friday into Saturday, lessened on Saturday, and increased on Sunday. As of Monday at 2:30pm, after getting out of the shower and beyond I did not bleed. I saw my OB/GYN on Tuesday morning. He has kept me off of work for another week, returning on light duty (I work on a stroke floor - the heaviest floor in the hospital). My OB/GYN reassured me that the fact that I haven't bled in over a day even after he completed a pelvic exam, that this was a GREAT sign.

So, again I sit on bed rest. I'll do anything to help this lil baby nugget along! In 2 weeks we go back for another sonogram to see the size of the bleed and to determine the sex of the baby.

I hope that this post can help any other woman who has had bleeding, SCH, or anything of the sort to know that you are NOT alone, the bleeding can stop, and there IS a bright side.

~Worry Wart

Re: Subchorionic hematoma in 2nd trimester......bed rest

• Options
    imageandreak713:

At 14 weeks, I began bleeding - spotting really. At 15 weeks, I hemorrhaged BAD. Went to the ER only to be told that I am threatened with a miscarriage, and take 3 days bed rest. Four days later - still spotting a moderate amount, I wake up from a good night's sleep to feel my underwear wet. I rush downstairs to the bathroom - find a mixture of blood and a clear fluid in my underwear. I began to urinate, felt a bubble around my pelvic area and all of the sudden - PLOP!  My first thought - I just passed my baby into the toilet. I changed my underwear, grabbed my keys (all while leaving my 5 dogs upstairs in the bedroom thinking their mommy was coming back to sleep and what i thought was my baby in the toilet), and floored it to the ER for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. Hysterical, my husband and I wait for the Dr to come in. He proceeds to conduct a pelvic exam, tell me my cervix is dialated and that I most likely had a miscarriage and passed the baby into the toilet. He said "we'll be sure when we do a sonogram". A half hour later, I have  a sonogram. The sonographer looks at my husband and I crying and crying and says "well there's a baby moving like crazy and a heartbeat of 158". My broken heart dropped to the floor. I couldn't believe it. Overjoyed and still in shock, I made her turn the screen towards me so I could see with my own eyes. After my husband and I had calmed down and they are wheeling me back to my room in the ER, I see the consulting Dr in the hall. I hold up a picture of the baby and say "there's a baby still in there with a strong heartbeat". He replies "REALLY?" with a shocked tone. I couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!! He had previously told me husband and I that we had a miscarriage without knowing for sure and 100%. Now we find out our baby is doing fine. This is all going on while my mother went back to my house to fish out the "sac" out of the toilet. Luckily we got a hold of her before she went into the house to tell her the baby was fine so she was not thinking she was retrieving her grandbaby out of the toilet. She brings the "sac" back to the ER  and shows it to the incompetent Dr. He opens the tupperware container (yes that's all she could grab at the moment) and says without truly analyzing it "yeah that's a blood clot". I couldn't speak the words....... I finally swallowed the lump in my throat and said "that's a pretty big freakin clot don't ya think". he replied simply "yes". i could not believe this guy's bed side manner, or lack there of. I was then discharged and told to "throw the clot out". something just did not set well with me. I didn't know this Dr from Adam and did not trust him to begin with. I took the nurse aside (who was AMAZING) and asked her opinion on what i should do with the "clot". she advised me for my own personal peace of mind that i should take it, call my OB/GYN and ask them to take a second look - since they were the ones i trusted. I called when I got back home from the ER and was instructed to take the "clot" BACK to the hospital and have it sent to pathology. I did. The next thing I know I am being admitted for the second time in one day, the midwife examines the "clot", fills out the paperwork to have pathology examine it, vital signs being taken, and then i'm whisked away to a more in depth sonogram in the same department and by the same Dr who completed my Nuchal Translucency test. He was fantastic. He completed a abdominal sonogram and a transvaginal sonogram. Within 10 minutes, he found a Subchorionic Hematoma/Hemorrhage which was causing the bleeding for the last week and a half. He stated that he, personally, felt that passing the clot was actually a good thing. The blood had been pooling on top of my cervix, hence the size of the clot. Now with that mass NOT in my body, the blood from the hematoma could drain properly now. He stated he's seen this in a lot of pregnant women and that the bleed usually resolves itself. He did also state that I am still at a high risk for miscarriage. It's now a waiting game, as he put it.

I was put on bed rest from Friday - Tuesday. I did NOTHING but go to the bathroom and occasionally let my dogs outside just to get up. The bleeding persisted on Friday into Saturday, lessened on Saturday, and increased on Sunday. As of Monday at 2:30pm, after getting out of the shower and beyond I did not bleed. I saw my OB/GYN on Tuesday morning. He has kept me off of work for another week, returning on light duty (I work on a stroke floor - the heaviest floor in the hospital). My OB/GYN reassured me that the fact that I haven't bled in over a day even after he completed a pelvic exam, that this was a GREAT sign.

So, again I sit on bed rest. I'll do anything to help this lil baby nugget along! In 2 weeks we go back for another sonogram to see the size of the bleed and to determine the sex of the baby.

I hope that this post can help any other woman who has had bleeding, SCH, or anything of the sort to know that you are NOT alone, the bleeding can stop, and there IS a bright side.

~Worry Wart

Thank you so much for posting this.  I also have SCH.  I have been on bedrest for a month now.  The bleeding comes and goes and every ultrasound that i have shows my babies are alright.  I am now 15 weeks along and would love for the bleeding to stop.  I tell my DH i cant enjoy this pregnancy cause of the bleeding.  I try to look for the bright side of this but i just cant.  The info you posted was very helpful for me.

• Options

I also have SCH and have had two bleeding episodes. My bleed was large and it started at 14 weeks. I'm now 22 weeks and have been on bed rest for two months. It doesn't look like I will be coming off it anytime soon either.

My bleed has not resolved at this point, but is spreading out with the growth of the baby. There are other concerns with my LO because of the bleed, but at this point everything is stable. The goal is to get to 24 weeks without going into labor.

Yes - it's scary. but really follow your doctors advise on resting. I also recommend seeing a perinatologist. It was one of the best things I did.

It's hard to say not to worry - but hang in there. Here's to our babies being sticky!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a SCH that showed up at 13 weeks and 2 weeks of light spotting.  Everything eventually resolved itself and at my 20 week ultrasound the SCH had disappeared.  I was on bedrest for a week and then I had a month of no exercise and limited activity  (I did go to my job where I sit at a desk.) 

This is my first pregnancy and I am 38 so I was pretty freaked out - luckily everything  has turned out ok.

• Options

You're welcome!  I had been on bed rest for 2 weeks. Even after going off of bed rest I was still bleeding. I went 5 days without bleeding, took a luke warm bath to relieve the back pain I felt from laying in bed all day every day - got out of the tub to have bright red blood dripping out of me. It lasted about 3 days and now I am just spotting dark brown blood. I go back to the perinatal testing unit at the hospital i work at in 4 days to see if the bleed has gotten smaller and what the sex of the lil baby nugget is. I will be 18 weeks on tuesday. Baby nugget is doing flips and has a good strong heartbeat at 150 -160. I have said the same thing "i feel like i can't enjoy the pregnancy or get excited about certain things". I feel that every time i start to make plans such as picking out a crib, decor, etc - i start bleeding. i feel as if i am jinxing myself. This is my first pregnancy and I am beyond scared. I am ready to hysterically cry at any moment of the day. Every time I start to bleed I think it's the end of my pregnancy and that i will lose this baby nugget. I can only hope that as the weeks go by the baby is getting stronger and that we'll make it to delivery.

Thank you everyone for reading this and I can honestly say it's a nice feeling to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Not that I would wish this upon anyone, but it's nice to know that there are other people I can communicate with and share my concerns. So thank you!!!!

• Options
    Same thing happened to me too but at 13w3d pregnant with twins. The doctor in the ER was so rude and really upset me. Then to find out my babies are fine. I had stopped bleeding for 5 days then I passed a huge clot last night around 10 and called my ob and he wants me to come in this morning. Woke up around 4 to more blood and another clot and reading your post made me able to fall back asleep for a couple hours. I'm just praying they're okay!
  • Options
    Yesterday I was talking to a friend, and at the end of the conversation. I felt a gush of liquid come out of my vagina; when I went to the bathroom I noticed that it was blood. as I went back to my seat I felt like it was still coming home. I told my husband when had to leave without making a scene. He did not get so I ended up waiting in the car for a two minutes before he came out. Anyways I rushed to the ER still feeling gushes of blood. This is my first child and I am 16 weeks pregnant. They did an ultrasound the baby was moving all over the place, and had a heartbeat of 156 bpm. My doctor later told me I had SCH, and I am currently on bed rest until my next ultrasound  which is Tuesday. About a week from now the bleeding has stopped for now. But I still have so many questions.
    1) will I have to have a C- section
    2) how long will i be on bed rest
    3) will the SCH last throughout my pregnancy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"