Houston Babies
Options

Feeling Really Down

Hi ladies,

I have never posted here before. But I figured I had better use the support system that I have at my disposal. I am a new mom to DD who is now 4 months old.  Before we had her, I worked pretty much all the time. But, now I am a SAHM. Don't get me wrong, I love being at home with her. The thing is that the only friends I had were ones I worked with. Seeing as how I don't work there anymore, I don't hang out with them either. On top of all of that, I am trying to start my own business and it's just not going well. I am trying to stay positive. I am starting conversations with every women that I meet, give them a business card and tell them a little bit about my business. But no one seems at all interested.  All in all, this is a very trying time for our family. Its taking a lot out of me. Any helpful words would be great! Thanks bumpies!

Re: Feeling Really Down

• Options

Are you part of any mom's groups?  MOPS, neighborhood groups, church groups, etc?  That's the best way to network with other moms, but also to get out and meet people.  Motherhood is tough and going from a busy career life to a busy SAHM life isn't easy.  It will take time, but if you put yourself out there and give yourself a chance to meet people it will get easier.  

• Options
    No I'm not. I guess I just don't know how to find them. Any suggestions on how to find some groups? I tried looking on meet up.com or something like that, but all the groups I found required some sort of dues and I have basically no money right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    what Kelley said! ;-)
  • Options

imagerustylee32905:
    No I'm not. I guess I just don't know how to find them. Any suggestions on how to find some groups? I tried looking on meet up.com or something like that, but all the groups I found required some sort of dues and I have basically no money right now.

Church groups!  My MOPS group has scholarships for moms who are unable to pay.  Perhaps your local group would have one too.

Click here to find a local group!  Good luck!

https://www1.mops.org/web/web_group_search.php?srctype=menu&PHPSESSID=67a65cca8ca80cc8293302794cbff09d&PHPSESSID=67a65cca8ca80cc8293302794cbff09d 

• Options
    imageKelleyA:

imagerustylee32905:

Church groups!  My MOPS group has scholarships for moms who are unable to pay.  Perhaps your local group would have one too.

Click here to find a local group!  Good luck!

https://www1.mops.org/web/web_group_search.php?srctype=menu&PHPSESSID=67a65cca8ca80cc8293302794cbff09d&PHPSESSID=67a65cca8ca80cc8293302794cbff09d 

Ditto. I love my MOPS group, it is a great way to meet other mom's. There's childcare during the meeting too so you are able to relax and not worry about chasing your little one around.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry you are feeling so down. I also had a hard time adjusting to life as a stay at home mom. I think it's totally normal, although I felt bad about it because I "should have" been grateful to have the opportunity to spend so much time with my baby. It got better when I realized I should let myself feel those feelings. It doesn't make me a bad mom. I was just used to having more of a life outside the house!

Hanging out with other moms has been a lifeline. Like the other posters, I am also involved in a MOPS group, and that has saved the sanity of many a mom! Our group also does scholarships.

Make sure you take care of yourself. When my baby was a few months old, I had a friend come over to visit him. She took one look at me and realized she needed to kidnap me and take me for coffee. I left the baby at home with dad and had some much-needed adult time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I TOTALLY know that feeling.  However, mine lasted for about a year.  My good friends call it my "fog"..  as in I was "in a fog".  Kids are demanding and it was really hard for me to get used to my "new life."  I know you said your finances are tight, but you might look into Mother's Day Out.  I too own my own business.  I just couldn't do it all.  I used MDO as a time to get my work and market my business, do things for myself, and just get things done.  I found my business was much better and I was easily able to offset the cost by making an investment in myself.
  • Options

You can also check out www.meetup.com to find other groups in your area.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Since money is an issue right now, you might also try and find a babysitting co-op in your area- or find a good MOPS group and start one. That way, you and other moms can trade kiddo duty even if it's just long enough for you to have a cup of tea and check your email or take an extra long shower. A couple hours a week alone can make a big difference.

Is there a park near your house? Go often and you'll meet other moms, especially during the "witching hours" between afternoon nap and dinner time. I have made some really wonderful friends at the park near my house. The weather is perfect right now! 

Good luck! It takes a while, but you'll find your groove. It's a big adjustment and being a SAHM isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but it definitely has it's perks.

Also, be sure not to push your business when you're just meeting people. You have to prioritize- the business or making friends. If you make friends, they'll be open to hearing about the business later. There are always networking specific groups you can join for straight up business promotion but no one wants to start a friendship feeling like they're being sold,

• Options
    imagerayskit10:

Since money is an issue right now, you might also try and find a babysitting co-op in your area- or find a good MOPS group and start one. That way, you and other moms can trade kiddo duty even if it's just long enough for you to have a cup of tea and check your email or take an extra long shower. A couple hours a week alone can make a big difference.

Is there a park near your house? Go often and you'll meet other moms, especially during the "witching hours" between afternoon nap and dinner time. I have made some really wonderful friends at the park near my house. The weather is perfect right now! 

Good luck! It takes a while, but you'll find your groove. It's a big adjustment and being a SAHM isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but it definitely has it's perks.

Also, be sure not to push your business when you're just meeting people. You have to prioritize- the business or making friends. If you make friends, they'll be open to hearing about the business later. There are always networking specific groups you can join for straight up business promotion but no one wants to start a friendship feeling like they're being sold,

I totally agree!

And meetup is usually really inexpensive....my group is $10 a year, and some are even cheaper. Plus, you don't have to pay until you've attended a couple of things and are sure of a good 'fit' within a group.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"