Michigan Babies
Options

giving birth at sparrow hospital question?

Im just curious for you mom's who have a baby at Sparrow. Will they send me home with samples of formula? i plan to breastfeed but figured i should have formula at home just in case the breastfeeding doesn't work or i need to breastfeed and use formula? Alos did you take pads with you to the hospital? How about diapers? Any advice on what they give you sparrow for me or baby would be great. Or ideas of what you took to the hospital. I am taking the birthing class so im thinking they will probably give us some pointers but thought i would ask those who have been there and been thru it. thanks.

Re: giving birth at sparrow hospital question?

• Options

I breastfed DD for a little over a year.  I didn't need to supplement with formula until about 11 months.  I do believe that I received a sample can of formula at home a few weeks before DD was born.

What I got from the hospital:  mesh panties (I didn't love them like some did).  I didn't care for the jumbo pads so wore them in the hospital and wore pads that I brought from home when I left.  They provide everything you need really.....diapers, lotion, nasal aspirator, samples of nipple ointment.  They will go over all of that in your class.  I would not take your own clothes or robe to wear in the hospital....no need to mess up your stuff.  Hospital gowns and robes were fine.

I also took laptop (wifi), camera, lollipops for labor, cards (we played gin during labor), boppy pillow, my own bed pillow (I am picky).

HTH!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    awesome thanks so much. i was just gonna go buy a cheap robe and some slippers to have if i wanted to walk around in those. Then probably pitch them when i got home. Im sort of a germ freak especailly in hospitals. Thanks for the ideas.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just got home from the hospital and yes, they game me a an of Similac and Enfamil.  Also, if you go online to both these companies websites, they will send you another free can, and I believe the pedi office gives you free cans as well.  I'm breastfeeding too but as expensive as these are, I still ilke to have them for when I go back to work and need to supplement.

I brought all my own clothes to the hospital.  I think its a personal preference.  We had lots of visitors and there is no way I would have felt comfortable in the gowns all day.  I brought my own slippers and makeup and just taking a shower and getting into my own clothes made me feel like a new person after birth.  I didn't have any issues with my clothes getting gross.

And i know I'm one of the few, but I ROCKED IT in the mesh panties.  So sexy!!!  Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Also.....Sparrow also gives you a manual breast pump, which I discarded with DS #1 since I had an electric at home, but wished I'd kept.  I had to order replacement parts for my electric a couple of times and my pump was out of commission. Would have been nice to have a back up, even if it was a manual. 

Also, ask for lots of samples of lanolin.  Your breasts will get sore and the lanolin helps!

We also got an backpack diaper bag, a couple of totes, and a small cooler for bottles, a finger feeder and a nipple shield (the last two I had to request from the lactation consultant.)

• Options
    saweet! this is a good post.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"