Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

how long did your baby wear mittens?

My baby is 5 weeks old and I just took the mittens off her this week.  I trimmed her nails so they would be short but she is still scratching (though with less damage) and even putting her fingers in her eyes. I don't want to delay her progress but she scratches all the time...when she's upset, when I am feeding her.  Any thoughts or experience?

Re: how long did your baby wear mittens?

• Options

i never really used them- i tried but she hated them... I had to trim her nails right when we got home, and a few times since then.

LO gets at her face, but as long as they are trimmed, no scratches! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I only put the mittens on him twice. I let him learn- but put them on him if he has more than two little scratches on his face. He's gotten a lot better at not ripping at his face now that he knows he has nails- but I "peel" them. Thats what the nurse showed me in the hospital, since their nails are so thin and flimsy. you bite the edge or snip it if you cant tear it. then peel it to the other end. Its an alternative to clipping so you dont accidently make them bleed. and it keeps them from being sharp on the edges too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We left them on until about 2 weeks, when she was a little bigger and we felt more confident about cutting her nails.  She still grabs & pokes at her eyes, usually while BFing.  If we haven't cut her nails in awhile, I'll put them on while feeding her.  I call them her "Breastfeeding Gloves" :)  She poked herself so hard in the eye one time she started crying while she was eating.  I felt bad, but, you can't really do much to prevent it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    she wore them for about 2 weeks until i got over my fear of trimming her tiny nails. i had my mommy friends do them for me at first and then i practiced. they grow so fast! i trim them about every other day now while i'm nursing or when she's sleeping.
  • Options
    He never did. We had the sleeves with covers in the hospital, then clipped his nails for the first time the day we brought him home. We've been able to keep them pretty trimmed since then, and he's only scratched himself twice (once this weekend while wrestling with us trying to use saline and the nasal bulb, urgh).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LO never wore them.
  • Options
    I bought some, but he never wore them.  I love clipping his fingernails - is that weird?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"