Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

chest rattle....help

DD has had a rattle in her chest for about a week now. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, aside from an occasional cough that sounds kinda phlemy. The chest rattle comes and goes, and seems to be worse after feedings (bottle or solids).  You can hear it and feel it in her chest and back. I brought her to the doctor last Weds, and figures, she sounded completely clear at the Dr's office, the doctor on call said to just come back if she gets shortness of breath...hmmm...I'm not satisfied, I plan on bringing her back to see her regular Dr since she is still congested. Any idea what this might be or how to treat it?? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: chest rattle....help

• Options
    It's just mucus vibrating in her throat and maybe a little bit in her chest.  Sounds like she's just having some cold symptoms.  My pedi's rule is to see a baby once he/she has cold symptoms for 10 days.  I hope your LO feels better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Is she at all congested?  Alex rattles whenever he's got a runny nose and a phlemy cough.  The doctor has said that it's up high and isn't anything to worry much about.  (He's also had croup and that's more of a dry barkey cough.)

The doctor said that if the skin pulls in around his ribs and/or if his breathing is shallow and fast, that he indicates he's having trouble breathing and needs to be seen right away.

If it's just a cold, it needs to run it's course and there isn't much they can do.  That said, I'd probably go back too...but I am quick to go to the doctor.  Last time Alex ended up with an ear infection after about a week or so of the cold...so it was good that we went in. 

Bianca image.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmmm....it could be a few things, but no fever? I'd be more worried if she had a fever along with it. I would just try to break all of the congestion up: humidifier, sit in the bathroom with her and turn the shower on for hot steam, put her on her back and make "cups" with your hands and pat them all over her back. 
    Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• Options
    No fever and no runny nose....I will try the humidifier and see if that helps clear things up. I'm not sure if it is in her thraot or her chest, it just sounds so...rumbly?...Maybe it's just mucus and she can't clear her throat? I'm gonna watch out for more symptoms and see what happens. Do you think I sould take her back to see her regular Dr?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelynsey851:
    No fever and no runny nose....I will try the humidifier and see if that helps clear things up. I'm not sure if it is in her thraot or her chest, it just sounds so...rumbly?...Maybe it's just mucus and she can't clear her throat? I'm gonna watch out for more symptoms and see what happens. Do you think I sould take her back to see her regular Dr?

I'd say just mucus. 

Do the "cupping" that PP suggested.

Lay her on your lap on her tummy with her head a little bit lower than her butt. Make cups with your hands and pat her on they back. You'll have to do it firmly and it'll make a loud noise, but that's just because of the shape of your hand - it's not actually hurting her.

For best results I would say to turn on the hot water in the shower and sit in the bathroom and do it in the steam.

Do that for a few more days and then call the pedi back if it gets worse or doesn't go away.

This is a test. This is only a test.
  • Options
    Is the rattling a wheezing sound? DD had a wheezing in her chest before and it was RSV (respiratory virus) and she ended up having breathing treatments until it went away (just an asthma puffer basically). I would take her to her regular doctor when you can if it's not better by Mon. My DD's symptoms were way worse in the morning so we made sure to take her in early. GL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"