Working Moms
Options

When to start touring daycares?

Hi- I live in a suburban area, I am not concerned about having to get on a waiting list but I want to make sure I get my baby into the daycare that I feel is best.

So my question is, when should I start touring daycares and how early do I pick one? Do I just tell the center or provider that I am going to go with them and give them an estimated start date?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When to start touring daycares?

• Options

With my first I was due end of March and started looking in Nov-Dec but didn't choose one until January.  I think I did it early especially these days with daycares hurting for enrollment with parents being unemployed.  That being said take the director's comments about space being limited and you need to make a decision ASAP with a grain of salt.

Once you choose they will want a deposit to hold your child's spot.

• Options
    I looked when I was pregnant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think it hurts to start looking early.  I was glad to have that crossed off my list.  Plus, you might be surprised at wait lists. 

I think it depends on the daycare how you let them know.  At ours, we had to fill out a form or two, but no deposit.  Some do require deposits to hold a spot or put you on the wait list.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I looked and selected daycares while I was pregnant.  Unfortunately, I waited until the beginning of the second trimester to get on wait lists.  With the crazy-long wait lists in the DC area, this was not wise.  My son was 1 year old before he could start daycare in the centers I selected.  I say starting early is wise because you'll be sure to get the start date you need & the center you want.

• Options
    I'm starting now!  One daycare center told me they had a waiting list for next fall already for infants.  I'm not sure how that is even possible.  My baby is due in May and when I told them I would need to start the baby in daycare at 6 weeks they seemed a little concerned about the timeline.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to called them 2 months before I got pregnant?!  I would say there is no harm starting early!
  • Options

Choosing a daycare center for your baby will be one of the most important decisions you will have to make.  Each center will have specific registration requirements as far as paying a registration deposit or length of time for a waiting list. 

The most important thing is to really explore all of your options.  There are so many choices for childcare and making sure that you are informed of all of them will make sure you get the best out of your early childhood experience.

Tour many centers, come prepared with questions, and overall make sure that you fall in love with the teacher!  Some buildings may look prettier than others and anyone can sell you on a center, but the teacher is who will make or break your experience.  Make sure that the center allows you to do observations in the classroom if you would like to really get a good feel for the day.

You will know what the right choice is when you find it, don't make your decision until you have that feeling!

• Options
    Thanks ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd start looking as soon as you can if you aren't sure what you want.  This helped me get an idea of costs and how they relate to different centers and different home care too.  Actually signing up we did a few months before my due date, even though we choose one months before during our tours of them all. 

And yes, we gave an estimated start date, but it's usually that they start you on the 1st of the month.

• Options

Hi there,

I have to comment on this because I was recently in your shoes.  I started touring daycares and the "good ones" had like a year long waiting list, and the "not so good ones" were available, but the thought of sending my child there just frightened me.  I literally cried all night long....

My friend told me about www.greataupair.com so I checked them out.......and I was soooooooo happy that I did.  We submitted out profile, and we got to view hundreds of babysitters and nannies in our area, and decide which one we wanted to interview and hire....they have all undergone a background check, and after interviewing Olivia, I knew that I had made the right choice.   You might just want to check it out....I know it was the best thing I have ever done!!

Good luck

• Options
    We started looking in Oct/Nov and chose by Christmas.  I had the baby in April and she started day care in July.  I put my name on the waiting list at my in-work day care the day after my BFP because I knew that one filled up the quickest.  I got a spot, but then didn't take it.

I also live in the suburbs, but all the good ones get filled quickly - especially since the siblings of current students take precedence over new enrollees.
    Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"