Baby Names
Options

what can Cara be short for?

DH loves the name Cara.  How would you pronounce this? Care-uh or Carr-uh?  I feel like it should be a nickname for maybe Caroline?  Any other ideas? Thanks!

Re: what can Cara be short for?

• Options
    I went to school with a Cara. She was just Cara. We all pronounced it "Care-uh" (we live in northeast) but she said that all her southern relatives pronounced it "Carr-uh" so it might depend on where you live. I would think it could be short for Caroline if you wanted a long formal name.
  • Options

I think of Kara= care-uh and Cara= CAR-uh

I like the name best on it's own. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only know it as a name on its own.  She said Care-uh.
  • Options
    Caroline is very cute. I agree with making Cara as a nn because you want them to have a formal name. At least give them options as they get older.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagetaryn.:
    Caroline is very cute. I agree with making Cara as a nn because you want them to have a formal name. At least give them options as they get older.

I really dislike Cara/Kara because of a negative association.  It feels 80s to me, too, whereas Caroline is timeless. I would give your child a more formal name and then use Cara as the nn.

Due with DS2 on March 15, 2013! PLEASE vote on my BabyNames.com list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9692263
  • Options
    I'm from the south and I would pronounce it Care-uh. I think Cara should be short for Cara. It's a nice, normal name.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

my coworkers name is

Kara

pronounced care-uh

I like it just like this.

But it would work with caroline... although most would say carol..unless u correct them

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    One of the names we like is Carissa.  Cara could kinda be a nickname.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I prounounce it  Car- uh

I like it as a stand alone name and do not think it is too cutesy/informal for an adult.  If you want it to be a nickname I guess you could go the Caroline, Carolyn route

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• Options
    Almost everyone I know was Cara Mia. 
  • Options

We have friends with DD named Karalina,(nn Kara. (care-uh) and Carabelle, (nn Cara,(Carr-uh).... HTH

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickersPhotobucket
  • Options
    My SIL is Cara (CARE-ah) and it's not short for anything. I love her name.
    I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a friend named Caralee, I think it is very pretty!
  • Options
    I love the name Caroline. Cara would be a cute nickname!
  • Options
    My name is Carolee...so I guess Cara could be short for that (though I've never been called "Cara" before).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I live in the Northeast, and I pronounce it cah-ra (not car or care)

• Options

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Cara! I think it's better on it's own, but that's just me.

I will never use it though, b/c it's on my best friend's list, and I am trying to get her to use it next time if she has a girl, so that she doesn't end up with her other girl choices, Emersyn or Presley.

• Options
    I know of a Carlina who goes by Cara (car-uh).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"