Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

How would you handle this? Very tired after daycare

Sadie tends to take only one nap at daycare, and as a result she's really tired by the time DH picks her up. Many times she'll fall asleep in the car and she'll sleep for thirty minutes or an hour after she gets home. She usually goes to bed around 9:00 and then sleeps until 8:00 in the morning.

Today she didn't fall asleep in the car, and when I got home around 6:45 she was happy and playing with DH, but shortly after I got home she started getting very cranky - didn't want to be held, didn't want to be put down, laughing hysterically and then crying, etc. Just overtired. We debated on trying to go ahead and feed her dinner and try to get her to bed early, but there was just no way she was going to eat in that state. So I got in bed with her and she fell asleep by 7:10. I fell asleep too of course, and I woke up at 9:30 and she was still out. 

I took her upstairs to her crib, figuring she'd wake up in transit and I'd feed her at that point, but she remained asleep. I then went downstairs - this was the first time I'd been able to look at her daycare sheet for the day. She had of course taken only one nap, but she also had not eaten since 2:15. Additionally, I send three six-ounce bottles of formula to daycare, and they had sent back two full bottles. I sent her with a sippy to daycare this morning with half of her morning bottle in it, so she had some of that at breakfast, but still. This is not unusual for her - she is terrible about drinking her bottles. But my point is, she had not had any milk or food since 2:15 pm and it was 9:30 at that point. 

I made an 8-ounce bottle for her and dreamfed her. She drank the whole thing, which is EXTREMELY unusual for her - usually six ounces is the upper limit of what she'll take and she very rarely drinks that. She woke up briefly while drinking her bottle, smiled and me, and then closed her eyes again. I then changed her diaper, and she woke up enough to "talk" to me for a minute, and smiled, but then closed her eyes AGAIN. I rocked her back to sleep and she's still asleep - no supper, just a big bottle.

Her diaper was almost completely dry when I changed it. I looked at her daycare sheet and her last diaper change was at 5:15. She had FOUR dirty diapers today - she's been eating a ton of solids lately despite shunning her milk, so obviously she's not starving. But the dry diaper kind of worries me. 

Sorry this post is so long and rambling. What would you guys have done differently here? I feel like any decision that resulted in her not eating her dinner was a wrong one, but I honestly don't think she could have eaten in that hysterically overtired state. Does that just happen sometime? And would you worry about the dry diaper? And does anyone else's baby take late naps like that after daycare?

Thanks if you stuck out to the end! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How would you handle this? Very tired after daycare

• Options

Sometimes it happens.

She sounds like she has a reason to be that tired, if she had napped normally and was still so tired/not hungry I'd be worried. But, she's tired and babies sometimes have appetites that ebb and flow, just like adults.

Have you noticed her getting a cold? Sometimes when my kids are getting sick they lose their appetite...

You did the right thing, IMO!

This is a test. This is only a test.
  • Options

I can't really relate yet as Britt doesn't start daycare until next week...

That being said, I would've done the exact same thing.  She's at an age now that she'll let you know when she's hungry so if she's absolutely starving, I'm sure she'll wake up and want to eat.

I know you struggle with her drinking her bottles but I think you did everything right.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! She slept well last night, but the night before she woke up and couldn't get settled back down for quite some time, so maybe she's still catching up on her sleep deficit? She just got over a cold so I'm hoping she is not catching another one!
  • Options

on another note sgrl, our babies are almost one.

12 more days for me. sigh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagereannegummer:

I can't really relate yet as Britt doesn't start daycare until next week...

That being said, I would've done the exact same thing.  She's at an age now that she'll let you know when she's hungry so if she's absolutely starving, I'm sure she'll wake up and want to eat.

I know you struggle with her drinking her bottles but I think you did everything right.

Thanks! Oh my goodness that siggy pic is one of the best yet! I love it! 

I had to refrain myself from doing a happy dance when she drank all 8 ounces. That's unheard of for her! It really eased my mind; if she had only taken 2 or 3 I'd worry a lot more. 

• Options

imagesgrl:
    Thanks for the feedback! She slept well last night, but the night before she woke up and couldn't get settled back down for quite some time, so maybe she's still catching up on her sleep deficit? She just got over a cold so I'm hoping she is not catching another one!

That could definitely be it! This happens from time to time with my kids. Sometimes after a particularly stressful week my DS will fall asleep before dinner and wake up at 8:00 he next morning.

She'll probably be starving tomorrow morning, so be prepared! (You might have to get up early to make sure she has enough time to eat and you have enough time to get ready.)

• Options

Thanks hotsauce! I hope she is starving, I love it when the girl eats! She really has done well with her solid food lately, if we can just pick up that milk intake, we'll be in business!

Reanne, how are you feeling about Brittyn starting daycare? I bet she'll love having new toys to play with and other babies! 

• Options

Dont worry! You do the best with what your baby can handle and she obviously needed sleep! I would have done the same thing. We have had a few times where we tried to feed DS in that state and it just turns into a DISASTER with food all over his face from being so tired and rubbing his eyes and then hes more angry and harder to calm down!

The only thing I would say.. would be that I feel like id be a little irritated that the day care didn't even try to feed her more??? Maybe I misread that though..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    To me it sounds like a growth spurt.    For ds2 he will  not want to eat will get kinda cranky and sleep really good, then the next day eat everything and anything.
  • Options
    Shannon, I can't fault the daycare - they really do try. She's just a hard nut to crack when it comes to drinking milk. My mom said, "I have never seen a baby who cares less about her bottle than Sadie." She does a BIT better with a cup, but not much.
  • Options

imagesgrl:
    Shannon, I can't fault the daycare - they really do try. She's just a hard nut to crack when it comes to drinking milk. My mom said, "I have never seen a baby who cares less about her bottle than Sadie." She does a BIT better with a cup, but not much.

My niece is the same way. She just isn't a big eater. She's growing right on track, but I'm used to my little heifer... lol

• Options

As far as daycare goes, I'm a mixed bag of emotions.  I'm excited for her because I know that she's going to love it there.  She got really excited with all the kids when we went there for a few interviews.

As for me... not so much.  I am so used to being home with her and having her with me all day and night.  Even the days that I get bored, I still wouldn't change any of it.  We go for walks, go to the swings at the park twice a day, go shopping, etc.  She's my little side kick.  I am dreading going back to work.  I look forward to the adult interaction and I really do love my job but I'll miss her like crazy.

She's so much fun.

And..... now I'm sad.

• Options

Oh no! Please don't be sad! I know it's really hard to go back, but there are some good things about it . . . it's really nice to sit down and have a cup of coffee and talk to grown-ups, or go to the bathroom w/o someone shouting at you for it!

Just me, you know, that does make sense about a growth spurt. She ate everything that wasn't nailed down on Monday and Tuesday! 

• Options

One thing that stands out to me is that her bedtime is probably too late. When Sam dropped his third nap, his bedtime moved from 8-8:30 to 7-7:30.  Since she is only taking one nap, 9 p.m. seems WAY too late.  The nap in the car or late afternoon nap doesn't really help since it's not a consolidated sleeping opportunity.  I would recommend trying to move her bedtime to 8, or even 7:30.  Over time she may be better rested and actually nap more at daycare, or even take her bottles. Sleep begets sleep, and at this age, a 9 pm. bedtime is just too late, IMHO.

Those are my two cents - I know that it is what has worked for us but every family is different.  FWIW, we pretty much live by Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - it's been hugely instructive.

ETA: I've been back at work, full time, since Sam was 3 months.  He's been in day care the whole time and is doing AMAZING.  I took the day off today and played hookie :)  It was wonderful to spend time with him - I mean, really great.  But you know what?  I am still so happy I work. We could get by with DH's salary (life would change, for sure!) but I work mainly for MY sanity and MY satisfaction.  Sam is thriving at a great day care and I am happy too.  It is a win/win. 

GL!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    I'm responding late to this but this is pretty much our life. Despite S being in DC since she was 2 months old, she's still not napping well there and I'm lucky if she gets an hour's sleep when there. As soon as we get in the car, she generally falls asleep until we get home and hour later. Then, depending on how tired she is and when she last ate, I'll either plop her in the high chair to eat something and/or give her a bottle and put her down for a nap. Sometimes I'm lucky and she doesn't want to nap more and we get to play before her 7PM bedtime (she has to be up by 530). More than not, she naps though and I end up having to wake her for a bath and her last bottle. I keep hearing that she'll get more used to taking only one nap but after 7 months, I'm still waiting. : (
    click the pic (blog)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"