Success after IF
Options

apple juice for baby

A is 9 wks and our pedi said he is fine with us starting her on fruit juices (no more than 4 oz a day though).....we want to try apple juice cut in half with water...

can we give her the regular pasteurized Mott's apple juice (i have juice boxes so she's not drinking from the same open bottle days at a time) or do we have to use special gerber baby juice?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: apple juice for baby

• Options

Why would your pedi be fine with you giving your 9 week old juice? It has no nutritional value and is just full of sugar. Honestly, it seems a bit absurd to even want to give your 9 week old juice. Our pedi always said only formula or B-milk until 6 months and then we could give DS water occasionally in a sippy or something with his food meals. The ONLY exception he gave us was when DS was constipated and we had to mix 1oz of pear juice with like 4 oz of formula to help get things moving.

I wouldn't rush the juice thing. DS will be 16 months on Monday and he doesn't even drink juice. We've tried it several times and different ways and he doesn't really care for it, because of the sweetness.

• Options

We are going to avoid juice as long as possible.  We let her have small amounts of water with meals (limited so that she still gets enough calories from breastmilk and solids).  Juice has almost no nutritional value compared to whole fruit (or purees).   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too am shocked your pedi would be ok with giving your 9 week old juice. Aiden has never had anything other than water and milk (almond or rice due to dairy sensitivities) and he's 20 months old. As pp's said, there is no nutritional value to juice, just a ton of sugar. Great links above!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am shocked too. I woudl get a new pedi immediatly after hearing this. Juice at 9 weeks?? ridiculous!!! My boys are 19 monts and have NEVER had juice of any kind and I don't plan on giving it to them . They will have it eventually. They don't need it now. They eat a ton of fruit so why do t hey need sugary juice??
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If it is help with constipation, Iany kind of pure juice, no sugar added, is fine. Of course it should be pasteurized.
  • Options

Our pedi told us to hold off on juice as long as possible since it has absolutely no nutritional value. DD is 15 months old and has never had juice... we don't plan on giving it to her anytime soon either. She loves milk and water, so I don't see a point.

We didn't start fruits until 6 months old (before that it was only a combo of BM and formula). If we were planning to do juice, there is no way I would have done it before then. We were advised to give her fruit juice for constipation issues by a nurse, but chose to do other things instead, which worked (our pedi mentioned juice but gave other suggestions when we declined).

Sorry to be negative... I just don't quite understand why your pedi would be ok with juice so early on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've never heard of giving a 9 weeks old juice!  I personally would wait until your baby is starting solids.  It will help prevent consipation.
  • Options

Ditto all the others.

Without a constipation issue I can't see the purpose or logic in adding juice.

My kids are 2 and 4 and still only drink anything other than water and milk only on special occasions. (because unfortunately it's served at every birthday party they go to.)

Do some research on this one! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    imagehowleyshell:

Ditto all the others.

Without a constipation issue I can't see the purpose or logic in adding juice.

My kids are 2 and 4 and still only drink anything other than water and milk only on special occasions. (because unfortunately it's served at every birthday party they go to.)

Do some research on this one! 

Ditto this. Elizabeth had apple juice for the first time ever last month and it was at my niece's birthday party. She wanted some because all the older kids were drinking it. 

Before that, she'd only had a few ounces of prune juice for constipation issues.

As for it being your pedi's recommendation, it's OK to listen to what they say and to do your own research and make your own decision on things like this.

After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto what everyone else said.  Jack did not have juice (1/3 juice - 2/3 water) until after he was a year old.  Your pedi is nuts.  Do not give your 9 week old juice unless it is for a medical issue (i.e. constipation - and only then it would be a one-time thing - not something to regularly give her.)
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Options

I have to agree with everyone else - and was totally shocked by the subject line.

• Options
    Dylan has apple juice every day, but only because it helps with his constipation.  Otherwise, he would only have formula and water.  I also didn't start giving him juice until the constipation started once he really started eating solids.  It was probably around 6 months old.
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

i actually so far really like my pedi - he is really laid back and answers all my questions...

i plan to start solids as soon as possible...i know I was eating solids way before the recommended 4 month start point however our pedi suggested we wait till 4 months simply because of the new guidelines regarding possible links to food allergies - you could tell he was skeptical though as am I....I'm not allergic to anything and there are very few foods I won't eat because I was exposed to a wide variety of flavors and textures very early on....on the other hand DH will put up a fuss about eating any cooked veggie except broccoli or spinach

i think the recommendations regarding solids and not giving babies juice is too strict...like seriously, I'm not handing my baby a bottle full of juice, but if a half ounce of juice+water will calm her down enough to eat formula when I am out of breastmilk then I will take it....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"