Attachment Parenting

If you breastfeed

Were you breastfed? That ad got me wondering.Just curious

My mom bf all 3 of us and I know she bf me till I was 3 and I self weaned, I never even took a bottle.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you breastfeed

• Myself, and my two brothers were all breastfed. I have no idea for how long though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was breastfed for 8 weeks.  My mom stopped when she went back to work.  That's awesome you were BF'd until you were 3!

• Loading the player...
  • Interesting. My mom tried to breastfeed me but only succeeded for a couple of weeks. Apparently I didn't gain enough weight and she was so frustrated with how little I ate (she rented a baby scale from the hospital) and the nurses kept pressuring her, so after a short time she gave up. She says she was young and didn't have confidence in her own body, when she had by brothers 7 and 9 years later she breastfed them with no problems. This is probably why she was extra supportive when I had problems BFing in the beginning. She called and emailed every single day listening to my problems and told me that I could do this. Thanks mom!
    Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • My mom bf all of us, me until 3-4, brother1 until 3-4 months (supply dried up after she got pregnant with brother2), brother2 until 1-2, sis until 1-2.
  • Nope.  But my mother is deceased, so I don't know how supportive she would have (could have) been with me.  My MIL, on the other hand, BF both her kids and was very supportive and helpful.
  • My mom stopped with me when at my 1 month appoint they basically told her I was starving.  She made it a little longer with my sister, and my brother was the longest at 4 months.  She has been really proud of my success so far since she never really "got it".
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My mom started BFing me, but then ended up in the hospital with a blood clot in her lung.  Apperantly, trying not to die was the higher priority!

She BF my sis until she was 11 months.

• My mom breastfed each of the 4 of us for 6 weeks until she had to return to work. I guess pumping wasn't as accessible/easy then, and certainly not accommodated. 

She was very supportive of my determination to breastfeed, and never asked me anything about weaning or formula or anything. I'm very grateful for that. :) 

• Yes both my sister and I were, I think for near a year, my sister for just over a year.  My MIL bf both DH and his sister.  I was lucky I had alot of family support.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsBeckO:

My mom breastfed each of the 4 of us for 6 weeks until she had to return to work. I guess pumping wasn't as accessible/easy then, and certainly not accommodated. 

She was very supportive of my determination to breastfeed, and never asked me anything about weaning or formula or anything. I'm very grateful for that. :) 

My mom said she they had those old breast pumps that had the rubber ball looking thing and you had to manually sqeeze and that's the only option they had! lol

• I was breastfed until 2
  • Yes.  I was BF to about a year.  My sister was BF 'til 13 months (and she was pregnant with my brother at that time).  My brother was only BF to about 7 months and then had soy formula.
    imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Wow it is awesome to see so many that were BF since from what I hear it wasn't that common. Not that it is now but I think it is becoming more popular (or I just surround myself with those that are)

My mom didn't BF me and is very open about it. She said they were scared they would get pregnant again and knew they couldn't afford it so she went back on BC right afterwards. I don't know if they had any sort of mini pill idea then. My MIL however BF all three of her kids til a year or so.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • imageLucky_N_Love:

Wow it is awesome to see so many that were BF since from what I hear it wasn't that common. Not that it is now but I think it is becoming more popular (or I just surround myself with those that are)

My mom didn't BF me and is very open about it. She said they were scared they would get pregnant again and knew they couldn't afford it so she went back on BC right afterwards. I don't know if they had any sort of mini pill idea then. My MIL however BF all three of her kids til a year or so.

My friend bf her baby and her OB told her there was no bc she could take while nursing, that was THIS year. He was an idiot obviously.

• My mom breastfed me until 7 months, and my brother until 4 months (apparently she couldn't get him to stop biting and gave up). This is why I love my LLL group!

My maternal grandmother only formula fed, because that's what she was told to do. Paternal grandmother breastfed three kids, and actually told me this weekend (she's almost 90 and has dementia) that she was so glad I was BFing because everything she read said how good it was for babies. And she told me she was proud to have nursed when it wasn't encouraged. Some things stick with you, I guess! 

• My mom bf me for a year cause my Bio dad said he wanted me weaned by 9 months. When my other 2 brothers came she said fvck him and nursed them till 18+ months when they self weaned
  • I was bf till 18 months and self-weaned. My older sister and brother were bf till around 5 months, but my sister stopped nursing and my brother had really really bad lactose intolerances and no matter what she did he was sick. My younger brother was bf till 15 months.

I was planning on nursing Lia until 18 months to 2 years. She refused to nurse and I tried so hard. We struggled with it for a few months and she eventually lost a bunch of weight. So we started supplementing. But even though I was pumping and drinking tons of mothers milk tea my supply completely tanked and I had to stop completely. 

Sorry for the novel!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
  • Nope. And neither was my DH.
  • I was breastfed until I was about 8 months, then my mom had to stop because she had health problems, and was put on some pretty heavy medication.
  • I was breastfed for 4 weeks, mil weaned dh at 3mos, and my paternal grandmother nursed all 4 children for various lengths between 1 and 9 mos. Apparently my grandmother was bored with bfing her first and stopped after a month but nursed each subsequent child a few months longer than the previous one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I was along with my other 3 siblings.  My mom was and still is one of those hippy, home birth, natural foods moms and wouldn't have had it any other way.  I can't say I remember how long she breast fed any of us.  I don't think it was longer than 2 years, probably not even that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom breastfed me for 2 months - until my pediatrician told her I was overweight and should be drinking 2% cow's milk. Tongue Tied Yeah, I was on a diet at 2 months old...
  • My mother was told by various female friends that breastfeeding was incredible painful and she shouldn't even try it. :( So she didn't. She regrets never trying, but she had an absolutely zero support system around her. I think she's rather amazed by the whole thing. She loves to sit and watch me and even tries to take pictures because she loves the moment between DS and I so much.

Thanks, Mom, but put the camera away! haha.

My DH was breastfed, though.

• My mom started to, then the doctor told her I "needed more" so she started FF, but then she felt really sad and relactated!  She was only 19 and didn't know much about BF, so I applaud her for going with her gut.

She BF my sister until she was 3. 

• My mom didn't breastfeed her first, but regretted it so she breastfed me and my brother. She weaned my brother at a year and says I self-weaned at 8 months.

DH was breastfed for 8 months as well. He bit MIL once and she cut him off. 

• Yes. I was in the hospital for 3 months because I was 14 weeks premature and a surviving triplet. My mother pumped for me day and night. She also breastfed my 3 younger brothers. Not sure how long.
  • Yes, but for less than a year, I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes I was. However, my mom said that after I started eating solid foods I lost interest in nursing fast. I take that to mean that I self-weaned before I turned 1 (she can't really remember when exactly it was).

ETA: DH was FF because he was born 4 weeks early and his mom's milk never came in. MIL didn't try to BF her younger son even though he was full term.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagelittlemommy1:
    Yes. I was in the hospital for 3 months because I was 14 weeks premature and a surviving triplet. My mother pumped for me day and night. She also breastfed my 3 younger brothers. Not sure how long.

This is so sad and beautiful.  I am sure pumping for her was cathartic.

My mom did bf me.  She wanted to BF my older brother but the two pedis in her area said they wouldn't treat my brother if she bfed.  Formula was all the rage.  When I came around, no one was telling her no!

My MIL FF all three babies and believes 'breast is best' is a hoax put out by LLL.  She is generally great but she truly believes that.

• No, my mother got a shot to dry up her milk before she even left the hospital. I shudder to think of what toxic things were in that shot!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup, my parents are those awesome AP hippies.  Stick out tongue  My brother and I were both BF (not sure exactly how long, but my mom took 2 years off with me and I'm guessing BF me for most of that). We were also clothe diaper babies.

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • What a great post!  I was breastfed for about 6 weeks...my mom said it hurt and she didn't know anything about pumps.  She's really supportive of me bf LO.
  • My mom breastfed all of us for 3-4 months.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageQuazel:

My MIL FF all three babies and believes 'breast is best' is a hoax put out by LLL.  She is generally great but she truly believes that.

My MIL is the same way. She gave me this whole spiel about how breastfeeding is a complete waste of time and that she didn't even try to BF her 3 kids, and look, they all turned out just fine. She said she had no interest in it at all, and didn't understand why anyone would want to BF. We're 2 weeks away from Avery's first birthday and she keeps asking when we're going to wean him, like it bothers her so much that he's still nursing.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom tried with my oldest brother but was discouraged at every turn by the drs and quit around 3 months.  The next two or three kids were formula babies.  The last of us were all breastfed babies.  My mom was actually a La Leche leader when it was still fairly new...
  • imageanna7602:
    No, my mother got a shot to dry up her milk before she even left the hospital. I shudder to think of what toxic things were in that shot!

My maternal grandmother told me they used to do that. She said she refused it because it didn't make sense to her that BFing could be bad, when it was so natural.

My mother BFed my sister and I for 3 months, until she went back to work. She said the pumps were pretty useless back then and as a RN, not something she could keep up with anyway. 

MIL didn't BF any of her 3 children. She said it was too much work and she wanted her body back.

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was not breastfed. My mom never even tried to breastfeed my sister or me. I'm was the first person to breastfeed in my family 10 yrs ago when I had DD. My grandmother never breastfed either, not sure beyond that.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• My mom BF all three of us for about a year. My MIL didn't breastfed DH (or siblings) and challenges me from time to time. I don't let it get to me though. I "educate" her since she's basically ignorant about BFing. She told me I'd have to formula feed once I went back to work and to supplement with formula at night since my supply is lower. DH is still amazed that his mom knows so little about it. Her only experience was her milk coming in and obviously engorgement is painful. She could have sucessfully BF but it's just not something you do in KY sadly. Less than 30% of babies are BF here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"