May 2011 Moms
Options

Another question for the thyroid girls

I know, I know.. another question. But you guys are so helpful!

I picked up my meds. I'm going to be on 25mcg of Levothyroxine.  I think that's a low dose, right?

Anyways, I'm reading the side effects and I see HAIR LOSS. Oh, heck no! The little info sheet says it's rare.  Please tell me I'm not going to be losing chunks of hair.  Crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another question for the thyroid girls

• Options

It is a low dose, and it is better for baby to be on it than have your thyroid levels be low. And chances are better that you have more hair loss not on the medication. It should help your hair, so no worries :)

BFP 4/27/09, missed M/C 5/25/09, D&C 6/10/09 BFP 9/9/10, missed M/C 10/27/10, D&C 11/2/2010 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Agreed, that's a low dose (I'm on 250 Levoxyl, which is the name brand).  I've never lost hair due to my thyroid meds.  But when my thyroid is screwed up, my hair (and nails) get really brittle and dry.  As pp said, it's still better to ensure baby is healthy. 

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been on it for about 6 months, and my dose is higher than that.  My hair is still nice and thick.  The only issue I have is if I forget to take it in the morning and take it in the evening, it sometimes makes it hard for me to fall asleep. 
  • Options
    Ive been taking synthroid/ levothyroxine for a year and im on 125mcg and no hair loss. 25mcg is a very small dose so i wouldnt worry about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i had my thyroid completely removed 2 years ago, so i am on 200mcg, and haven't experienced hair loss or side effects at all really.

**Kelly***

image image
    Visit The Nest!

• Options
    I assure you you will not lose any more then normal from the thyroid medicine. However, pregnancy can make you lose hair, and a lot of it. For some a whole bunch in first tri and then right after baby is born. (At least that is how it worked for me with DD and I was not on thyroid meds then.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think you should worry at all... I have been on medications for my thyroid for years and am not loosing any hair (besides the normal).

• Options

(sorry 2nd post on this question)

The key is taking your medication on an empty stomache and not eating for about 30 mintues afterwards. Plus not taking it with the prenatal, wait 4 hours inbetween (that is something new I learned earlier this week).

• Options
    Thanks girls!  That makes me feel a whole lot better.

• Options
    I hate to rain on your parade... and it may not even happen to you but, was on 25 mcg for about 4 years and am now on 75 mcg and my hair has been thinning....I not sure that it is the meds but that is the only prescription that I have been taking....
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"