Infertility
Options

IVF Failed - Biochemical Pregnancy

This morning I went in for my blood test, 9 days after my 5 day transfer -- our first IVF cycle. This afternoon, the nurse called with the grim news that my hormone level was 8.49, indicating a biochemical pregnancy. The level indicates that the embryo implanted, but didn't develop as it should have. There was either a chromosome abnormality, or due to more hormonal problems. We transferred 2 high quality embryos. When the doctor saw them, he said our chances of becoming pregnant were probably closer to 60%. I'm worried, what if this means won't be able too carry a baby in the future. Its somewhat comforting to know we had an embryo implant, but its heartbreaking to know I was pregnant last week and now I'm not. Has anyone experienced this?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: IVF Failed - Biochemical Pregnancy

• Options
    Sorry you are going through this.  I am experiencing it right now for the 3rd time.  I start to bleed right around the blood test each time.  My beta is currently 26 but I am not optimistic.  I agree it is somewhat comforting to know that I have a 100% implantation rate.
    TTC #1 and Only Since August 2008 DH: Severe Male Factor Infertility (Diagnosed July 2009) Me: Clean bill of health 2 IVF w/ICSI cycles + 2 FET = 3 BFP = 3 Chemical Pregnancies FET #2 = BFN Tired of IVF - Trying for a miracle with IUI IUI #1 - 1.1 Million Motile = BFN Surprise Natural BFP on 1/10/12...Praying this is our take home baby
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this too. When I spoke to my nurse today she said if my levels had been in the 20s, at least I'd have a chance. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your third time is a charm! Did your doctor adjust any meds? Is there really anything to do besides just trying a transfer again?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i'm so sorry you're dealing with this. ((HUGS))

i just had a chemical pregnancy. not all embryos are normal and sometimes they just stop developing normally. it's sad but it happens. i have read that often women who have a chemical pregnancy don't even know about it - their period just ends up being a few days late and that's it. b/c we're IF, we get tested very early on so we know about a pregnancy before we know if it's developed and growing normally.

my doctor was very optimistic about my chances for success in the future. i don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the ability to carry a pregnancy in the future.

again, so sorry for you heartache. IF sucks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm sorry you are going through this - you may want to check out this previus post with some more information about chemical pregnancies:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/43254064.aspx 

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry that you're going through this.  I just had a chemical pregnancy last month, and it's really hard.  We thought that it was finally going to be our turn to be parents, then nothing. 

((hugs))  Take some time for yourself this weekend.

TTC #1 since 4/09 w/ MFI
    IVF #1, 7/10: Cancelled due to dominant follicle; IVF #2, 9/10: c/p; FET #1, 11/10: c/p; IVF #3, 4/11: BFN; FET #2, 6/11: BFP! Beta #1 = 118 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 1975 (16dp2dt)
    DS born 2/17/12

TTC #2
    IVF #4, 11/13: BFN; IVF #5, 3/14: BFP! Beta #1 = 59 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 406 (15dp2dt)
    EDD 12/19/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imageAnnieAyyappan:
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this too. When I spoke to my nurse today she said if my levels had been in the 20s, at least I'd have a chance. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your third time is a charm! Did your doctor adjust any meds? Is there really anything to do besides just trying a transfer again?

I haven't had my WTF yet.   My second beta is tomorrow.  I'm going to have a very thorough discussion with my RE at my WTF because I'm not going to do this anymore until they try at least one thing different than all the rest.

TTC #1 and Only Since August 2008 DH: Severe Male Factor Infertility (Diagnosed July 2009) Me: Clean bill of health 2 IVF w/ICSI cycles + 2 FET = 3 BFP = 3 Chemical Pregnancies FET #2 = BFN Tired of IVF - Trying for a miracle with IUI IUI #1 - 1.1 Million Motile = BFN Surprise Natural BFP on 1/10/12...Praying this is our take home baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"