Breastfeeding
Options

Please, I REALLY need your help!

I go back to work in 4 weeks and for the past 2 weeks, We've been practicing with my DS on taking a bottle. I have and still am breastfeeding BUT the problem is my DS does NOT want a bottle and will scream and cry and push out the bottle with his tongue. I am worried that when I go back to work, he will still not want the bottle and therefore will not have good nights (I work NOC shift). If he is hungry, agitated and crying, it'll put a lot of stress on DH (I hate how he doesn't have patience) or his caregivers. Can anyone please help me on how I can get my LO to take the bottle. We have been giving him formula and BM via bottle but he hates it. We have tried Playtex Ventaire and the drop-ins as well as the Breastflow (Breastflow, he tolerates more than Playtex). Should I still keep him practicing on the breastflow or try another bottle? How many days should I wait before introducing abother bottle if I have to?  TIA
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Please, I REALLY need your help!

• Options
    I would keep trying other bottles.  With my dd we tried breastflow, playtex, dr browns, and finally hit the jack pot with tommee tippee.  Its tough though, my dd has been getting one bottle a day since she was a month old in preperation for me to go back to work, but then she would only drink from the 1st bottle when i was gone and then refused the rest. it was too stressful for my dh and dd so i ended up staying at home.
  • Options

imagerexandbrooke:
    I would keep trying other bottles.  With my dd we tried breastflow, playtex, dr browns, and finally hit the jack pot with tommee tippee.  Its tough though, my dd has been getting one bottle a day since she was a month old in preperation for me to go back to work, but then she would only drink from the 1st bottle when i was gone and then refused the rest. it was too stressful for my dh and dd so i ended up staying at home.

Thanks for your feedback =)

Did your dd take the tommee tippee like a champ the first time or did she have to practice on it still? I feel like the breastflow is working slooooowly so I dont know if I should keep him praciticing on it or if I should introduce another bottle.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a similar problem and was told to not keep switching bottles.  It just leads to more confusion.  I stopped giving him the bottle for a few days.  After about 4 days I tried again and had no problem.  It is better though to have someone else give them the bottle.  I was told that I may even try leaving the house and going on a walk and letting DH give him the bottle.  This way he can't see or smell me.  Luckily I didn't have to leave the house but it did work better at first when DH gave him the bottle. We have no problems now...he takes the bottle when he's with my mom during the day and he nurses from me when he's home.
    Missing our Little Pumpkin BFP 2-19-09, MC 3-1-09 Mommy and Daddy miss you and love you so very much! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageAmyG*:

it takes about 2 dozen times before baby will accept it--they are creatures of habit.  so I'd stay with the same bottle.

they also have a tendency to NOT want to take a bottle from mom, she smells like milk, milk that is supposed to come from a soft non-bottle shaped thing.  have someone else give a bottle.

Dh tries to give him the bottle..but still no luck. if we're lucky, he'll get about an ounce. and this is me leaving the house for 4 hours

• Options
    imageAmyG*:

it takes about 2 dozen times before baby will accept it--they are creatures of habit.  so I'd stay with the same bottle.

they also have a tendency to NOT want to take a bottle from mom, she smells like milk, milk that is supposed to come from a soft non-bottle shaped thing.  have someone else give a bottle.

Dh tries to give him the bottle..but still no luck. if we're lucky, he'll get about an ounce. and this is me leaving the house for 4 hours

• Options
    imageAmyG*:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"