1st Trimester

What exercise are you doing? And which of these options would be safe?

We canceled our gym membership when we moved into our new home in a different city. We are thinking about signing up at a new gym here in town that offers classes. I've heard so many different things about exercise and pregnancy - mainly that you shouldn't do any exercise that raises your heart rate too much (though, I don't remember what that book's definition of "too much" was).

I'm not hardcore anyway. Typically, I'll do the elliptical for a half hour, get my heart rate up a bit, work up a sweat - or jog lightly on the treadmill (I have knee problems) - or use hand weights.

Now that my god-awful M/S seems to be subsiding and I'm feeling less like a grizzly bear, I'd really like to start exercising again. The gym we're looking at offers the following classes: 

Pilates/Yoga/Tai Chi (some sort of combo class)

Aerobics

Step

Kickboxing

Yoga 

What do you think? I know I can do yoga, but can you help shed some light on which, if any, of the other classes would be safe for me to participate in?

What exercise are you doing? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What exercise are you doing? And which of these options would be safe?

• I do step aerobics, I just got home from my class a few minutes ago!  I do take it easy and wear a HR monitor but it's nice because you can modify it for your fitness level so I don't do a lot of the jumping moves anymore and I lowered my step when I found out I was PG.
    Lilypie - (7gcp)

Lilypie - (S3If)

• I've been too tired to even think about exercise, but my OB says that any low-impact activity is okay as long as I keep my heartrate under 120.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would try all of them and see what you enjoy the most. Just watch that you don't get too overheated. You should be able to talk while you breathe. I think the benefits outweigh the risk. You'll feel great afterwards and it will help with other PG symptoms.
  • Thanks so much for your thoughts! I have been really fatigued as well, so it's hard to imagine coming home from work and then getting to the gym for a class, but I know I'll feel good afterward.

So heart rate should stay under 120? Is that across the board or specific to each woman depending upon bodily factors, history, etc.? 

• I've read the heart rate recommendation is outdated because everyone has different thresholds. It seems you can continue doing the activity you were doing prior to pregnancy, but maybe lower the intensity. One place said, use an intensity scale of 1-10 (1 being nothing and 10 being the hardest workout you've ever done)- that you should stick to around a 5, depending on your fitness level prior to PG. Agree w/ other poster- should be able to speak coherently in full sentences throughout workout.

I'm still doing Zumba (my favorite), but avoiding the high energy instructors and lowering my intensity depending on how I feel. 

Kickboxing tends to be pretty intense, esp. if you weren't doing it before. Step/Aerobics I would probably try a beginners class first. Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi are good choices to get started. Swimming/water aerobics are also good options.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I workout with my trainer 2x/week - he knows I'm pregnant and we've modified my workout plan accordingly.

I also do yoga once a week, but I'd like to start going twice a week when my schedule calms a bit.

• imageshannonalise:

Thanks so much for your thoughts! I have been really fatigued as well, so it's hard to imagine coming home from work and then getting to the gym for a class, but I know I'll feel good afterward.

So heart rate should stay under 120? Is that across the board or specific to each woman depending upon bodily factors, history, etc.? 

I'm not sure, that's just what she told me at my first apt.

• imageAquabee21:

I've read the heart rate recommendation is outdated because everyone has different thresholds. It seems you can continue doing the activity you were doing prior to pregnancy, but maybe lower the intensity. One place said, use an intensity scale of 1-10 (1 being nothing and 10 being the hardest workout you've ever done)- that you should stick to around a 5, depending on your fitness level prior to PG. Agree w/ other poster- should be able to speak coherently in full sentences throughout workout.

I'm still doing Zumba (my favorite), but avoiding the high energy instructors and lowering my intensity depending on how I feel. 

Kickboxing tends to be pretty intense, esp. if you weren't doing it before. Step/Aerobics I would probably try a beginners class first. Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi are good choices to get started. Swimming/water aerobics are also good options.

Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it. 

• Definitely not universal.  Everyone is different, and in fact studies show that your HR when exercising while pregnant is not a good guide for activity.  Of course, every doctor will have a different opinion.  I am a runner, and to keep under 120 is just not possible at all!   You should not have shortness of breath, do the talk test, if you can talk normal you are fine.  I run 4 times a week now.  I have a half marathon coming up at week 16, and I did one at 6 weeks.  I don't push myself and take it nice and easy.  My max heart rate during my last 8 mile run was 163.  Doctor says I am fine, and I feel great.  She did tell me at some point, with twins, it is simply not going to be possible to run at all because it will not be comfortable.  I plan to switch to the pool when that time comes.
  • You're my inspiration! That's amazing. Big Smile

• I'm a runner, and I used to do an outdoor boot camp 3x per week, but my doctor advised me to stop doing boot camp when I got my BFP, due to concerns about heart rate and core temperature, since it was pretty intense.  He told me to keep running, though, and just to listen to my body.  So far, so good with the funning, although I have started walking a bit up the big hill on my normal running course.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I heard you should not start anything new that your body is not used to doing but I think if you did low impact aerobics that would probably be ok. My Dr. said I should only do yoga that is specifically "prenatal yoga". Personally I haven't worked out since 5 weeks b/c I feel like total crap and have 0 energy. I would like to start walking again when I feel better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I run (30-ish miles/week), lift (2-3x/week, following New Rules of Lifting for Women), and about 3x/month go to a level 2/3 yoga class.  Now that I'm pregnant, I'm cutting my runs down to 4x/week, and biking the other two days/week (spin bike), and I'll be participating in prenatal yoga once I get to 2nd tri.  

The general rule now r/e heart rate and exercise is that you should be able to hold a conversation while exercising, or you're overdoing it.  

I think all but the kickboxing would be appropriate for pregnancy, although once your belly gets a little bigger, I'd stop the step and aerobics because your balance center will start to change.  Elliptical, stair machine, treadmill, stationary bike, etc are all ok too. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • My doctor has assured me at both of my visits so far that as long as I don't do MORE than what I was doing pre-pregnancy, I can do pretty much everything I was doing before.  I asked her if heart rate was a factor and she said both times, no just listen to your body.  Just don't overdo it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"