Baby Names
Options

Help me decide on spelling

I think my husband and I have agreed on some version of Alastair for our little boy. The problem is that it is a very old name that's made the rounds through various cultures and currently has 26 recognized variants. I prefer English variants Alister or Allister both because we have English heritage and because I feel like the spellings are a bit more intuitive. My husband prefers the more traditional Scottish variants Alastair or Alistair.

[POLL]

image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Help me decide on spelling

• Options

imagefeffy11:
    I think I prefer Alasdair or Allister, though I would pronounce them differently. I have to say, I'm really relieved this "help me decide on spelling" thread isn't for Riley or Aidan LOL

I know! I'm so glad to see an educated spelling post! (Thanks OP...you made a lot of us very happy)

I default to Alastair, but I think Alistair may be the default for many.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options

I think Allister/Alister has a completely different pronunciation than Alastair/Alistair.

Alastair (AL ass tair) vs. Alister (AL iss ter)

The name is nms, but I would go with Alastair.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageanneimal98:

I think my husband and I have agreed on some version of Alastair for our little boy. The problem is that it is a very old name that's made the rounds through various cultures and currently has 26 recognized variants. I prefer English variants Alister or Allister both because we have English heritage and because I feel like the spellings are a bit more intuitive. My husband prefers the more traditional Scottish variants Alastair or Alistair.

The ones that start with *Ali* seem feminie to me, even though its no where near a feminine name.  I like Alastair or Allister, though like a pp said, I'd pronouce each differently, so it depends on what you're going for. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"