2nd Trimester
Options

xp: clogged duct WHILE pregnant? no symptoms?

Coming over a day early to 2nd trimester board! I mostly lurk but had a serious question and hoping someone has insight...

Im very concerned and just came from my ob. My right breast has been pinkish-red and itchy for several weeks now. No fever, no pain, ever. Just red and itchy. I shrugged it off as being part of pregnancy and my breast growing/stretch marks, etc but last night made the mistake of looking it up online and ALL I read was about matisis (sp???) which the dr ruled out due to no pain, etc.. OR imflamatory breast cancer- which my dr had never even heard of so she is assuming its just a clogged duct. The cancer thing FREAKS me out of course but Im trying to stay positive here- anyone had a clogged duct while pregnant and had these symptoms with OUT pain, etc. Its a little tingly at times but again was something that I shrugged off as being part of my breast just getting larger. My dr said that was normal.

p.s. this is my second baby and while I bf'ed my DD she refused to nurse off this side so I am HOPING its just something to do with clogged milk starting to build up and changes occuring, etc that my body wasnt used to even though I bf less than 2 yrs ago.

oh, and I have a breast sonogram scheduled for tomorrow to evaluate her opinion of it being a clogged duct. the imflamatory breast cancer is something that does not cause lumps and can not be viewed on an ultrasound, only via biopsy from what i understand, so I am just scared we wont catch it if its something more serious.

Re: xp: clogged duct WHILE pregnant? no symptoms?

• Options

Mention your concern to your doctor tomorrow at your sonogram.  She will either order a biopsy, or tell you something that will completely relax you and put your mind at ease.

Be careful about reading online about things like that.  I had a headache and did research and completely convinced myself I had preeclampsia.  Called my doctor freaking out and she agreed to see me the next day.  My blood pressure was fine and she told me to calm down and take some Tylenol. :-) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks.. I did mention if a biopsy would be needed if it were not a clogged duct and she said that regardless of what it was they wouldnt be doing a biopsy while I was pregnant? Anyone heard of this? I saw online that they can do a non surgical biopsy with a small needle than many pregnant women have had done. Just curious if anyone has heard of that either?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happened to a close friend of mine during her 2nd pregnancy.  I think she was a little farther along than you, but the OB said it was indeed a clogged duct and it went away for her after regularly applying heat to it.  The OB who has been practicing for over 20 yrs said she's never seen one that early in pregnancy and was surprised, so I agree with PP to make sure you bring it up specifically tomorrow b/c they may not look for it otherwise.  GL!
    Expecting our 3rd little girl this New Year's!

• Options
    I had a clogged duct as well about a month ago, except it was under my arm (there is still breast tissue there).  I had stopped breastfeeding about a week prior and was 9 weeks pregnant.  My dr. looked at this enormous red (and painless) thing and said, "OH My!".  LOL!  He also said that it was a clogged duct from stopping breastfeeding and gave me an antibiotic to clear up the infection.  I also had to use a warm compress 3 times a day until it went down.  It took about 4 days to completely go down, thankfully!  Otherwise, I was going to need to have it drained...which I really really did not want to do.  I hope this helps:) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"