Attachment Parenting
Options

nurse in turned protest, to go or not to go?

here's the story: some silly employee having a bad day refused to ring through a mama's groceries while she was BFing stating the "no shirt no shoes no service policy".  the store manager initially apologized on the phone and then berated and embarrassed the woman when she came down for a personal apology.

soooo a peaceful nurse-in was planned following the breastfeeding challenge on saturday.   I was planning on going, but now it has turned in to more than a nurse-in.  It is being called a human rights violation protest and everyone is being encouraged to bring signs and family, and a whole bunch people that aren't even really affected by this are showing up. They may even bring dolls so that non-lactating women can participate, which sounds really weird to me.

I'm not into protests but I do want to support this mum so I'm not sure if I should go or not, any advise? what would you do?

Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: nurse in turned protest, to go or not to go?

• Options
    Isn't a nurse-in just a protest by another name?
  • Options

I would go, but if it turned into too much of a zoo, I would just walk away. 

The dolls for non-lactators (is that a word?) is really weird.  I think that could be considered indecent exposure...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagenadiarl:
    Isn't a nurse-in just a protest by another name?

it is, but protest in my town tend to be loud, unruly and I'm not sure if I'm into being part of that crowd, it's hard to describe them without sounding judgmental, but a lot of those people are not even interested in families or their well being.  they just want a protest.

*edit for missing words...

Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    I don't BF as an adoptive mom, so take this FWIW, but I wouldn't subject myself, my breasts, my doll, or especially my baby to a circus spectacle. I support women's rights to NIP, but if you think this crosses the line then personally i'd skip it.

this. if you want to give it a shot, go and see if it is something you can support. if it's gotten out of hand (by whatever measure works for you), leave.

or you could find other ways to communicate to this specific store/manager that you support the right to NIP. take your business elsewhere, write them a letter, etc.

• Options
    I wouldn't go. It sounds like a plan that has strayed far from it's original course. I don't know the background to the story, but I'm guessing that there will be another way to show the mama support (such as a facebook fan page, a way to write her a letter, a letter of complaint to the store, etc).

• Options
    thanks everyone.  DD and I will do a drive by after the breastfeeding challenge.  If it looks as crazy as I suspect we'll just go walk the dog at the doggy park next door.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"